1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting Up Or Down?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Flat-Lander, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Flat-Lander

Flat-Lander Junior Member
    from monroe

I am new to snow, and plowing, but we are living on a 1/2 mile gravel mountain driveway and I am going to have to learn. There are several steep sections that are going to require plowing (while my H2 does okay, family and friends w/o 4 wheel drive would have no chance)on our driveway. My questions is, Is it better to start at the top and plow to the bottom, or start at the bottom and plow up to the house? It seems like you would have the benefit of gravity going down, but again, I don't have a clue about what I am doing at this point.
    Any advice, or experiences, with H2's would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

It's almost always easier to plow going down the hill but really you normally plow in both direction on a 1/2 mile drive.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, it's better to start at the top. But, you have to know your equipment and it's capabilities. If you get too much snow in front of you so you can't go forward, it's almost impossible to back out because you'll have all the weight on the front end with the plow lifted and the tires will just spin. If you start at the bottom and plow at full angle, you run the risk of trying to push too much and the rear end of the truck slides to the opposite side of where you're pushing (basically sideways in the road). If there are ditches, you're in serious trouble. But, both these can be avoided by plowing "with the storm" - essentially plowing every 4"-6".

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

without seeing it...

i try and start at the top, plow down, but push the snow to low side of the drive.

Key thing since you do not know what your doing GO SLOW. this will help you save your truck/plow. you not going as fast so you can see the plow trip, when it trips back up get out find why it tripped. not going verry fast will also save your truck if it starts to slide sideways, slower your not going to slide as far sideways.

it will take you a while at first, so don't set time limit and push to make it. speed will pick up as you do your drive a few times, you'll know where everthing is and where your tuck wants to slide and what nots....