1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting up for the first time...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by InsaneSooner, Oct 30, 2009.

1. InsaneSooner

InsaneSooner Junior Member
    from 64155

I have been in a lawn mowing company for about 6 years now, and I am wanting to branch off by myself in the Winter when things have slowed down with mowing/fall leaf clean-up and make some extra money in the Winter STRICTLY maintaining residential accounts. Now I have a few questions concerning this...

1.) What equipment will I need? ( I would not mind just using a simple snow shovel for the job if needed since it is my first year.)

2.) How much should i charge? What is the going rate for driveways?

3.) What are some overhead costs will I see with years to come? (and this year)

I am not looking for commercial accounts or contracts by any means at this time and would like some tips for only residential. Thanks! ussmileyflag
  2. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

I am new myself but after doing research on this forum and with local long time plowers here is how I find to price...

Most driveways you can get about 25-35 for as long as its not real tiny or real big.
    If however you think you can price it by how long it will take a good pricing guide is about $100 an hour so if you think you can get it done in 15 charge $25 if it will take you 25-30 charge $50.

Now like I said I have no experience myself this is just what I came to by asking local guys and reading threads/asking on here.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

well you equip depends on how many resis you wanna do....if you have a shovel your not gonna get too many done but if you get a snowblower or 2 then you can do maybe 10-15 or 20 depending on conditions
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

5. InsaneSooner

from 64155

What are some snowblowers that you recommend for resis driveways that are fairly cheap and reliable?

Thanks everyone!
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Are you looking to paid for the work? If so you are a commercial operator. Lots of threads on here that relate to your questions. Grab a cup of coffee, or beer if you prefer, and hit the search feature. Lots of great information here to read up on and learn.
  7. InsaneSooner

from 64155

The level of service I would like to provide to my customers are just their driveways/sidewalks and salting. Depending how many customers I do get (I will be advertising my service to our lawncare customers which are about 35-40 customers), I will probably try investing in a snow blower so I will need a reliable snowblower.

Pricing wise, I am thinking about charging 25-35 per driveway(with salting) that is sized about 2 cars width and about 3-4 cars long..... Is this a decent rate for the time taken to plow the driveway and money in my pocket?
  8. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

Search Search Search tons of great info and answers to all your questions should be there. GOOD LUCK:waving:
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Decent, reliable and CHEAP do NOT go in the same sentence when looking for equipment.
    You get what you pay for.
  10. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

decent reliable and cheap can blong in the same line.

i bought a decent shovel for cheap at menards, and its reliable, cuz its never left the bed of the truck!
  11. KrisR

KrisR Member
    from NH

Try working with what you have ie trucks and mowers, maybe you can get a snowblower/plow for one of your mowers or a plow for one of your trucks?
  12. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

What do you normally do in the winter?

If you approach your lawn accounts you work for under the other Co. will this cause issues?

How much total snow fall do you get in your area in a winter? Where are you located?

If it's not a heavy snowfall area I would suggest skipping snow.

Frankly if I didn't already have a bunch of blowers, 4x4 truck, commercial insurance I'd probably make more delivering pizzas during a "normal winter". Last 2 winters here where exceptions not the rule. Frankly I only do snow to build my lawn & garden business. It's an expensive way to get more customers for the growing season. It works but expensive.