1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starting trouble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 84'GMC4x4, Feb 7, 2001.

1. 84'GMC4x4

84'GMC4x4 Member

hi all, for the last few weeks when i start my truck in the am (cold) the starter just spins without engaging the engine, it does this 1-3 times before it engages and the engine then starts normal.
    think this might be my starter on its way out? i'd hate to get stuck somewhere when it finally dies.

Greg

2. gitzenlandscape

gitzenlandscape Junior Member

That's definately your starter! If I remember correctly I think that sound is your Bendix drive failing in the starter. I would just replace the entire starter, it's much simpler. I have had MANY cars and trucks do this and have never gotten stuck but replaced the starter when I had a chance. But if you don't want to take a chance of getting stuck replace it as soon as you can.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The Bendix drive is going out or needs lube-Id just put a reman starter in it,they are so cheap,its not worth taking apart,jusr replace it,and be sure to shim it if necessary.

4. 84'GMC4x4

84'GMC4x4 Member

thanks for the advice guys, i figured it was the starter going. i'll replace it just as soon as its warm enough to be under the truck for more than a few seconds.

Greg