1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting to worry now..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Well its been 3 weeks since I first billed the company that I am subing for. Have had 2 snows, and I have sent them out 2 different bills, the first 3 weeks ago the other 2 weeks ago.
    Ok, I know that the holidays slow things down, and they had to have a I-9 so they could pay me, but I called today and left a message with the owner, just checking up see if they are having any issues or if they sent payment yet. No answer, so I leave a message, no calls.....

Ok, these guys are a small landscape design company, this is there first year plowing (why they needed me) and they have these large contracts with all one brand bank in central ky, applebees, rite ade and USM for walmart and something else.
    I do the (6) banks here in Lexington, and 2 of the applebees about 20 miles away for them, the rest is them or other subs.

Ok, I am not realy freaking that they will not pay me, not yet anyway, but what am I to do if it snows again, and I do not hear from them before then? (its susposed to snow this weekend/monday) Should I go ahead and push the lots? or should I let them sit? I do not have the contract signed yet, it was sent to them with 1st bill (the plowing was spur of the moment and I did not have the contract totaly together at that time). But so I only have a verbal contract with these guys, with all the prices broken down per lot, if I only push, push and do shovel work, if I salt (they usualy come behind me and salt thereself) ect.

So, if I do not talk to them and it snows, what do you all think I should do? since I do not have a "leagal" contract in my hands, well I may or may not be able to collect my bill as it is. I know if I plow then the price just adds up and gives me more to take them to court over, but this not haveing the contract in my hands kinda bothers me..

so am i just up the creek or does the boat have a truck size hole in it yet?:)

2. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

(I do not have the contract signed yet), theirs your first mistake, they don't have to pay you. If it were me, I wouldn't touch a thing until 1, I get a phone call from them, 2 I get a cleared payment (if its a check), 3 a signed contract in place. Then after those 3 steps go plowing have fun be safe and get paid. As it sits now you don't have a leg to stand on if you have to take them to court. Good Luck

3. DJM2011

DJM2011 Junior Member
    from 12033

You need to call them in the morning and tell them they need to send the contract over. and then make sure they have all the info they need to pay you. if its net 45 your not getting paid till 45 days from when they received the invoice. Just call or go there...

and if there's no signed contract, why are you out plowing. do you at least have a copy of the contract you sent out.

4. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

You need to go there to where they live now , and I mean now, one guy owed me money befoere, I went to his house and sat on his porch with carton of smokes and coffy pot, and informed him either money or I am moving in with his family, after 45 minutes we went to the bank and I got my $$ LOL.

5. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

all great advise but don't get arrested, if you know where their office is then I would say go ahead and try face to face,

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

do not assume anyone will stick to a verbal contract . it wont hold up in court also.

and when you assume you make a a$$ out of your self.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Their contract that they signed with the national should state they are NOT allowed to sub out......:nono::rolleyes:

"These guys are a small landscape co" and "its their first year plowing"... chances are they don't have the capital to pay you and are waiting the 45-60 days before they get their check from the national

All this Co saw was the "big" dollar signs with the contract and have no idea what is truely involved with accounts like these.....

IF you get your money, it won't be until the landscaping co get paid first......(its not right as I pay my subs every 2 weeks but its what it is)

Consider it a lesson learned with working as a sub of a sub for a national.

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Stop working

I would not work for them anymore without a check and a contract. Seems they are fitting you in as it is convenient for them. I bet as the forecast gets closer, they will either call you or all of a sudden come up with the money.

They will have all kinds of excuses why they were avoiding you. Find your own jobs or go to work with another company as a sub. And why do they get all the good stuff? (deicing) Oh I know, because they can do that without you and they actually make money on that. maybe they aren't charging enough and they are receiving their money slow.

Good luck!

P.S. We are going out tonight or early morning here deicing hopefully!

9. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

Welcome to snow plowing commercial accounts. Your a sub so guess what you are the last to get payed like our not. If he wasn't got paid yet he was no money to pay you. Sucks doesn't it!!!!!! Try waiting 60 days to get paid.

10. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

No contract, yes that is my mistake, but I have always done most things verble and a hand shake..yeah its not working out that good anymore :(

I am with you on waiting, I probily will just wait and not touch the lots, I hate not to casue its a huge chunck of change and its the bulk of my work this year. Most of the other clients I have are "call me when need service" type contracts, but these jokers dont hardly call and they are still looking over the contract (for 3 weeks). But they have the money up front and most time pay me when I get there or after I am about half started on doing there properties.

yeah, I figger that a verbal contract don't hold water in court, I delt with this when I had an auto repair shop, it was hard when they signed the work order...

11. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Firstly the contract issues are huge as everyone else above this post has addressed. But secondly 3 weeks is not a long time to wait for payment at all. Being a sub, I wouldnt really expect anything for at least 45 days if not more. Unless your "contract" states otherwise.

12. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I do have the copy that I sent to them, I am pretty sure they are net 15, i'd check but of course when I opened my accounting softwear, its wants to update...dang microsoft

13. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

get in contact with them before you get back on their lot.
    Chances of getting paid are not good for you until
    your contract is legally binding.

14. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

No, no assume
    ass/u/me.....thats what that great college Ed-U-Kation learned me....

15. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I do not know anyting about there contracts, never asked.

You know, you are probily right, they are small, have no idea what they got into, but they are not new at sub work (from what they teld me) and they are not new to the lawn or service business, but people will tell you anything.

I agree they saw "cha Ching"...but you I told them if there was something interfearing with paying me, just tell me and I would work with them (i'd ike to have another truck). I do not like the no answer, but I may be jumping the gun...

16. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

you guys are looking at a decent storm possibly this weekend too right?

17. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

do not mind waiting for the payment, but Iwould like to be told, yes it will be 45-60 days.
    I have one small account, they told me up front 45 daysfrom day they receve bill before they issue payment, I kenw this up front, these guys said if I sent the invoice monday I would have moeny in my hand friday... but people tell you anything.

18. alrhoads

alrhoads Junior Member

I agree, dont go back till you have a contract in hand. I do alot of work by handshake but I know the people and trust that I will get my money.

Somthing to think about however is that if you dont have a contract and you do the work and cause dammage to there property ofcorse theye will want it fixed, but they can sue you for trespassing since you dont have a contract to legaly be there.

19. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Wasn't that your thread asking for a solution to a bad deal that you signed?:rolleyes:

20. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

All good advice, yes the contract issue is my fault, but like I said the first time was a hurry deal, the second, well thats my fault.

I am going to call the owner again in the morning, then call the partner and keep calling them untill they either answer or turn there phones off. I do not realy mind waiting for my money if I know that I have to wait for XX number of days. But just do not advoid me, makes me unhappy...

I have never been to there office, I do know about were its at for the most part. I may have to make a trip down there if I do not hear from them, but I am sure they will be salting if we do not get enuff snow to push, so I may just catch them at one of the banks, since one is just down from the house and I have a resy just down from it.

I think I am going to agree, the lots will just have to sit untill either i have the contract in hand signed or some $$ in my pocket. Not to worried that a check is not good, its way enuff that its a felony its bad.

If I do not catch up with them, I am going to pay them a visit, I am sure just me showing up at there door with a "you owe me money" look may just frek them out.

Oh as for the salting deal, the 2 applebees I salted, it was included in the price we agreed on. the banks, well they salt them becasue they will not pay the price that I charge for salt/icemelt. I gave them a brake on it, since I was subing for them, I only charged them double what it costs me, not 3x, the price that I charge everyone else.
    I did loose the applebees last week, They were getting the 10 Arbys here in town, and they were buying another truck, they were going to do the Arbys, me still do the apple bees. So I traded them the 10 for 2, better deal since there all in town and on the way to the banks, and it was just a littlemore money..

you know I forgot about the truck, I bet that is were my pay is, sitting on there lot in the form of a plow truck.....