1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starting to get complaints on my billing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fireboy6413, Jan 8, 2011.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

For the past few years all my residential have been charged per every three inches removed only when we have a blizzard or such when I would much rather keep guys home and safe. In this case only my commercial gets done. Any how this has worked for years, but now with the increase in snow we've been getting up here, more and more people are having a problem with this. Does any one else charge this way or am I the only one. Thanks

2. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

I price my work based on 3-4 inch intervals. I am new but simply explain since my smaller truck requires more passes. And that I am here for smaller jobs bc the larger guys can't or won't do them.

3. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

If I charged a diff price for each 3 inch incrament, i would loose every customer. I do know some commercail guys around me charge X amount up to 6", 6-12, and 12 and up.
    I do let my customers know that I will be plowing twice if we get 12" or more.

4. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

On the accounts that are not zero tolorance, we clean every 3" and charge accordingly.

5. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We charge flat rate per push up to 6", after 6" it's by the minute or the flat rate whichever is greater.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

no matter how you bill, people are going to *****.
    it could be $5/driveway up to 50 inches of snow, and someone would still *****.

F'em, do it however you want.

7. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

on residential I think 3" is a little low in my opinion, I would go up to like 6" or so, but commercial its 1-3.9; 4-6.9; 7-9.9; 10-11.9; 12+

9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Customers can be interesting to say the least if your not there they complain, if your there to much they complain... Then comes the task of invoicing which usually ends in how come I owe so much...? next time come at 4''...Welcome to plowing 101..

10. adan

adan Member

What do you guys out there that charge per inch on a pay scale, go out with a ruler? Go by the what the station reports??

11. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Here in Saginaw MI. We bill a 2 -4", 4 - 6" and a 6 - 8" price and from what I can tell it is the norm. I do have one buddy that charges 2 - 6" and 6 - 12" but I think he is leaving to much on the table. Here it is Jan. 9th and we have plowed 1 - 2 times(salting 1 and non salt 2). Most resi 1 time.

12. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I just take my best guess at what to charge. It can vary too much so I just tell them whatever I feel is fare for both sides.I definitely cover my time and expenses and they love the price.

13. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Couldn't have been said better.

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

we charge for each push

15. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

All of our trucks are equiped with a ruler, its very useful to have one in the truck. On light accumulations when we are out patroling sites, its helpful so that we can no when we hit our trigger depth of 1 inch. Some sites will get more than others usually. The way we bill per inch, is I usually go to 3 or 4 spread out sites and measure them myself, or get measurements from 2 or 3 guys in different areas. If they all fall under the same category its easy. When they are in different categories its tough, you need more measurments of sites. And when we measure its the total amount based on 5 measurements throughout the site.

16. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

3" or more here unless commercial which want blacktop showing lol. Yes some resi wants to wait til 6 or more but then I double the price since it takes longer and harder on the truck so yeah they settle to 3 then lol

17. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Yes actually we do. NO room for debate this way.

18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I charge for the "First 6 inches in a single storm", if we get any additional accumulation I do this for free.

This alone lands me ALL of my commercial work. Things aren't what they seem....Thumbs Up

19. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Seems interesting. Care to indulge?

20. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

charge for the "First 6 inches in a single storm", if we get any additional accumulation I do this for free.

This alone lands me ALL of my commercial work. Things aren't what they seem....

Umm yeah mind if I know how this works? I'd like to expand ALOT for next year.