1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting takes two tries....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Sep 21, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

The last 2 weeks some times it has been taking 2 tries to start my chevy 01 2500 HD truck in the morning...It sounds like it wants to start , so I turn the key to off and it restarts right away like it did before....Why is it taking 2 tries some times... ? ? ? ? Normally it turns over maybe 2 revolutions and it starts ..Other times it may turn over several times trying to start...Help.... ! ! ! !

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Call me crazy but everytime I start any car, I tend to put the key in the on/tun position and listen for the fuel pump (runs for a few seconds), then start the vehicle. It works for me, might/might not work for you. It works really good on my bro's 2001 venture. Usually he ends up doing what you said above. I told him what I do and it fires up right away, first try.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you do hear the pump and it's not starting change out the starter now before winter.

4. RichG53

It's turning over it just dose not start right away like it did after 1-2 revalutions...No starter problems..Just start problem... It turns over several times and dose not start right away

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dont know about that with chevy but in a nissan they have a fuel pump rebuild kit to fix that problem.:alien:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'd help to know if it was gas or diesel... ;)

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

If its gas, Id say to ck ur fuel pressure regulator fur sure.
    Ive also seen a pin hole on one chevy truck On the in tank hose from sending unit to the pump but sounds like fuel pressure to me.
    Buy a $20 fuel pressure gauge and find out for sure.

8. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Had this same exact problem 100% with my 05 lincoln Navigator. They replaced the fuel pump... new spark plugs....had my fuel tested and several other things I cant remember. Went back to the dealer 4 times for this problem and nothing they did helped. Finally they called in a Ford egineer to figure out the problem. Turned out to be a defective starter. The starter was sending false messages to the computer that the engine was already running causing it not to start when i turned the key. New starter and havent had the problem since. Through out the whole time the dealer always assumed it was a fuel system related problem.

9. brad96z28

Well there not to brite to replace parts when they dont know what the problem is. They must not be able to afford a pressure gauge then. This is prety easy stuff. Very basic testing should tell the story. U should of went to another dealer for sure. How does a dealer just thow parts at someting.No way the starter is gona tell the ecm the engine is running also. More like a sensor. And on top of that what ur saying is ur car would not crank. When this one cranks everytime but does not start the first try like a fuel pressure issue.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...QBoschQQStarterQQ19982005QQW0133-1603570.html
    link to starter. no way it can tell the computer anything.

10. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

you state that the easy way to solve this is with a pressure guage. ok not how about volume? if you have a fuel filter thats pretty cloged up you will get pressure before you crank but not enough volume coming through.

11. brad96z28

Obviously if it starts and runs fine afterwards. Volume is not an issue. The problem it the first time he cranks it. If u had a plugged filter if would start like crap every time and also be noticable when u drove it. How would the filter magicly get better the second time u crank it.If u had a any volume problem u would have a driveability complaint as well. Like i said easy stuff here. U need to listen to the complaint.

12. brad96z28

Still wondering If this is even a gas truck?

13. RichG53

It's A 01 2500 HD Gas 120,000 Mi.It tries to start on the first time Just not right away like it did before.....

14. brad96z28

well time to get busy on it.:salute:

15. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

next time get in and turn the key on without starting it...leave it on for about 3-5 seconds then shut off. turn the key back on for another 3-5 seconds then try to start it. fuel pump rums for a few seconds when the key is turned on and this should prime the fuel system. if it then fires right up then your pump is getting weak or the fuel system is loosing all it's preasure while the truck is off for some reason.....have had this problem a few times. prime the system once or twice and it will fire up first try, but that is not a fix....jsut a diagnostic tool.

16. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I say check the fuel pressure.

17. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Not totally true. Alot of these trucks require a higher pressure to start and lower to run, like mine for example needs 65psi to start and only 55 psi to run. have had weak pumps get 64 and not start, and had a bad filter keep the pressure down and had to cycle the key 2 or 3 times to get it to build up to the 65 and start, but ran fine at 56psi.

But I do agree that the pressure guage is the best place to start

18. brad96z28

So what u are saying is u had a filter that was restriced enough to keep the pressure down initally when u turned the key on. But it did not affect the way it ran? If the filter was that bad u would have drivability problems. :dizzy:

19. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Might want to read my post again, truck would maintain pressure, but have a hard time building it up to 65psi to start, once it was up there it could keep it above 55 to let it run. No driveability issues to be had. If the truck hits 54 psi it would shut down. Just because the filter is partially plugged doesnt mean the pump cant for enough through to keep 55 psi, just would not build up to 65 in the 3 second prime.

20. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have a 01 2500hd with the 6.0 just under 30,000 miles and it began doing this same thing last week. The dealer serviced the throttle body (?) and it seems to run/start fine.