1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting small ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dr.Bob302, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Dr.Bob302

Dr.Bob302 Junior Member
    from ct

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and sorta new to the buisness. I have worked part time plowing for a year but just picked up a plow for myself. 7-6 fisher RD on a 08 f150 5.4. I know it's late in the season and don't have much high hopes for this year but would like to be in the swing of things or at least be somewhat established by next year. But as of now I have no accounts , no plowing insurance, and no buisness.

My question, Do I go all out and start a company, get insurance, and advertise, well.. do I need to? I would like to just start doing some people in my neighborhood/town just to get the ball rolling. I'm just one truck for now so I really can't go big this year. Should I get plowing insurance to do 10 maybe 20 driveways? Should I advertise if I may not be able to handle everybody or should I just spread the word for now and just talk to some people to try to pick up some accounts? Or do I drive around looking for uncleared lots or an old lady breaking her back? Any insight or sugestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:)

2. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

im just starting out on my own 2 i just got my plow installed last week lol before that i was just a driver for a buddies company now i sub for him under his insurance for the time being. i picked up 2 driveways thru him for the rest of this year i just plan on doing those 2 drives and sub for him. but next year i plan on advertising getting my own insurance everything right now im talking to different biz's and maybe getting a spot for next year start small then grow ive learned from here price accordingly and don't low ball. find out the rates for ur given area or the rates on where u wanna plow. ive noticed a lot of companies don't want resi's cuz there PITA's but think of them as ur stepping stone. ull be surprised a lot of companies just pretty much give them away well that's what im seeing anyways. as for this year i'll let the other guys give u insight one that all i know is get ur name out there and maybe u'll get lucky and pick up a few this year and also dont forget to network with other plow guys u never know maybe they'll throw u a bone here and there or maybe even they'll be looking for u as a sub

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Just keep reading threads on this site. Search feature works well too.
    Welcome to PS Doc.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get insurance quotes first. That may be so expensive you will have more to go by as far as how many accounts to do.
    Start with driveways and work from there. Put your phone number on your truck to maybe pick up something the rest of this year and good luck next year.
    In the meantime...READ the posts on here.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

One thing to make sure not to do without is insurance. When you're starting out is exactly when you need insurance the most. But many people don't get it because "I can't afford it yet". "I'll get insurance when I start making more money." When you're starting out is when you're more likely to have damage. As far as advertising, you might spend a few months getting the word out. Then, if you're not getting anywhere, you might try advertising a local paper if you have something like a neighborhood shopper. Or you might have some place you can tack up a notice like the local convenience or restaurant. Before spending a bunch of money for advertising, think about the service area that this medium has. A city newspaper or the Yellow Pages is probably the wider coverage than you would care for (besides the cost).

6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Not many plowing drive ways here in Alpena Mi. This year, there is absoutly no place to put the snow. If you can get the customer to let you fill up their back and front yard etc, push it back as far as you can. Around here, it's either a snow blower or shovel. The plies on the driveways are so darn high that they can't safely get out of the driveway. They just take the chance.
    Most of the commercials have been hauling snow away to make room for more.