1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting Out

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by PPMnh, Jul 31, 2006.

1. PPMnh

PPMnh Junior Member

what's the best way to start out? i can't afford to go out and buy a big sweeper off the bat (unless truck bed mount or tow behind? what are you opinions on those?). plus cost wise to rent a skidsteer with a broom isn't worth it unless i have a full day/night worth of work, even then there's a good $400 eaten up (that may be ok on a spring clean up, but daily/weekly contracts - i'd lose out). should i run a backpack blower and a billy goat, then shovel (so long as it's maintenance with relatively little sand)?
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I think you would get tired of this method real quick. I wouldn't buy a new billy goat to do this. Used for $200-400 maybe. What are your expectations? Gravel/sand cleanup after winter? Weekly cleanings for litter? If weekly or daily litter cleanup, then you might be able to start with a billy goat. It would get old quick though.
  3. PPMnh

PPMnh Junior Member

that's part of the point too...no way will a ground and a backpack blower do spring cleanups, but they may get by for debris (if a customer wanted cleaning 5 nights a week or whatever). i don't know...a few general maintenance contracts and i would simply go out and buy parking lot sweeper. Renting one is an option too, nations rent, etc. ...maybe break even, or lose money until i get more contracts, but then again i can't be stupid and run my business into the ground. what to do..:dizzy:
  4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Do you have a skidloader? I would say a used bucket/broom sweeper combo could be bought easily for $100-1500. I got one in May for $1050 at an auction. This would work on spring cleanups. Cheaper than a truck, but not as convienent to haul around and use. This would still be better than nothing. I would not recommend losing money to get started. What if you find it tougher than expected to pick up contracts? Then you have spent money with nothing to gain. I have found it tougher to get contracts than I originally expected. There is a guy driving from an hour north of my town and sweeping for what I estimate around $25-30 an hour. Obviously less after his maintanence and drive times are included. I bid a job I expected to spend 2 hours at 1 night per week for $90. The manager said the other guy was half my price and from out of town. As far as I am concerned, he can do it for that price until he drives himself out of business and I might just pick up a cheap sweeper. lol

CITY SWEEP Junior Member

I started out with a used truck mounted unit.I couldn't see spending alot of money on a big sweeping truck till i knew it was gonna work.As the guy from Hicks Lawn said also contracts are alot tuffer to get than i thought.One of my bigger accounts i spent well over six months trying to get.Also lots i
    thought would bring $80 to $100 to sweep are getting swept for $30 to $40.It can be a hard business to break into espically if your in a bigger town.
    I would look at a used conventional truckmounted sweeper or a slide in bed sweeper (A-tach,or Masco ).and a backpack blower.
    Go to Tommy Allen's site usedsweepersofamerica.com Good luck.