1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting out

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Wescustogo, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

I'm new to the business and want to start out in my neighborhood of about 18 houses. Problem is, nearly everyone has someone who already plows for them. Should I feel bad if I start plowing for two houses because the guy who does their plowing will have two less houses? I kind of do already but everyone has to start out somewhere.

What do you guys think?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are the 2 under contract already?

3. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

Not sure I'll check with them. Do they usually have contracts?

4. dieselss

If someone is already plowing the drives, do you think it's just a guy driving around helping random people out? Are you gunna be using the Toyota or ranger?

5. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

It's definitely not. I live in a pretty well to do neighborhood and when we looked at plow service ten years ago it was like $70 per plow. The Ranger had a frame problem and we sold it. The Tacoma's my dads and I now have a 2001 f250 5.4l.

6. dieselss

You have insurance?

7. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

We didn't have it for that one as we got it recently and found the problem soon after. It was too expensive to replace so we sold it and got the f250 last week.

8. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I f everyone has someone plowing for them what makes you think people will sign on with you. What size are the driveways that were paying $70.00 ten years ago ? Ten years ago you were lucky to get $20.00 for a driveway here.

9. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

Ours is about 80ft long and we decided to snowblow and shovel it for free.

10. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

And I'll do it for $35 and they know me well

11. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

Should I just put an ad on craigslist for my area?

12. dieselss

You have insurance? As in for plowing?

13. dieselss

Really. You'll be that low baller huh

14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you do it for $35 when they were paying $70 then years ago? Are you a real Business? Have insurance? Have a backup plan when the truck breaks down? Don't be the lowball guy. :) After you realize all the costs you will be glad that you are not.

15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I would walk around with flyers and stick them on mailboxes with a price written on it and maybe a business card stapled to it. See what kind of response you get.

16. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

Yep, got it as soon as we could.

17. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

That's what I was thinking of doing. I don't want to get more people I can handle though.

18. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Give them these options and let them choose what they want. Just make it clear they don't have to choose all 3.
    plow drive $
    shovel walk $
    salt sidewalk $

19. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

If I was talking about starting a plowing business on Dec.9 I wouldn't be worrying about getting more people than I could handle.

20. Wescustogo

Wescustogo Junior Member

Good point