1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting out

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Olives943, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Olives943

Olives943 Junior Member
    from PA

Hey all! I've been creeping on this site for the past few days reading as much as I can about the business. Seems like something I'd enjoy doing. I've been thinking about biting the bullet and going out to buy some decent start up equipment. I'm 24 years old and work a full time job in public safety. With my current situation, working full time and all, I'm thinking about just doing a few residential properties... if it takes off and grows from there, awesome! If not, at least I'd have some decent equipment for my drive way, so it'll be a win-win situation in my opinion :) Anyways, my initial start up cost is $1,000. I was thinking a snow blower, good winter gear, shovels, push spreader, and salt. I'd start out around the neighborhood. I just moved into my neighborhood and noticed that it's a older community where they just don't bother touching the snow. Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance! Thumbs Up
  2. Wiedmann

Wiedmann Member

Everyone has to start somewhere. If you feel comfortable spending $1,000 and doing some driveways then thats what you should do. Figure out what a fair price is do to them and hopefully you can add clients.

I started pushing snow this year, never done anything but our own driveway in the past years. Went and bought a new Boss v-plow and now a di icer unit. Our first snow storm this year was around 12 inches of wet snow, heck of a way to learn how to plow commercial accounts and a few driveways. Get good equipment and you will be happy. If you settle for something under what you wanted you won't be happy all winter.
  3. Olives943

Olives943 Junior Member
    from PA

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I figured the bulk of that money is going towards a blower. Originally I was searching for a good used blower, but I think I'm gonna go towards buying a new one and have it backed up by a warranty, just in case.

Did you feel comfortable just jumping into it by buying a plow and such with little experience?