1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting out

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mbreaker72, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

I want to start snow blowing this year and i need some advice on what i need and what is the best way for advertising

2. tbone3

tbone3 Member

First... are you snow blowing people on your block? "Snow Blower" or are you actually going to plow with a truck?

3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

a warm jacket, gloves, a good work ethic and insurance.

4. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

i have a chevy colorado and i dont think that it will do so good in the snow so i though i will just start from snowblowing around town and then see what happens

5. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

When i do snow blowing do i need to get insurance

6. CV Hitch & Plow

CV Hitch & Plow Junior Member

It is always a good idea to have insurance. About your Colorado, that is an amazing little plow truck! If it were me i would look into buying a 22 series snoway with down pressure or a 680 or 720 lt from blizzard. I think you will be happy with either, and you will have the capacity to hand more than you would if you were snowblowing.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Really? Have you used a V plow on driveways? I have, I will not buy a strait blade again they will all be V blades from now on

8. CV Hitch & Plow

CV Hitch & Plow Junior Member

v plow?

you are responding to my suggestion on the wrong thread. he can get into a straight blade for little money and have very little more to spend to upgrade. no reason to spend all that money on a v plow. have you ever used a speedwing plowmeister? i believe an 8600 speedwing has more capacity than an 8'6" v plow. its not only more maneuverable, has more capacity, doesnt have cleaning issues. but he can use that same mount, harness, and remote from his straight blade. he can have all the capacity and the functions with a simple straight blade remote. not a more versitile plow on the market

9. theplowmeister

from MA

OOPS sorry Dont know how that happened.... NEVER MIND:blush2:

10. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

What is the best way to advertise

11. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I am gonna be asking the same question soon, In the past ive had great luck hanging flyers at shopping centers and grocery stores along with business cards, also got a couple good customers using craigslist. But didnt have much luck with those methods last year or so far for this season. Last year i picked up more by emails and cold calling which i havent started yet but i guess i need to get the ball rolling on that. Just been too busy. Im sure other guys on here will have some better methods than i have used so ill look forward to hearing some as i dont have much time to sit on the phone or drive around knocking on doors. Goodluck

12. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

What would i do if my truck broke down when plowing. I think that it would be better for me to start with snowblowing because i can buy another blower and have a back up plan. Should i use contracts since i am just starting.

13. theplowmeister

from MA

If your going to snowblow send ads to the houses that cant be plowed because there's no place to push the snow.

14. mbreaker72

mbreaker72 Junior Member
    from CT

are door hangers a good idea for snowblowing or something would you recommend something else to use

15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't really like door hangers because the customer has to open their front door to seen them. Around here, people either park in the garage or have a side or back door. So they may not even see the door hanger until it's too late.
    That's why I do it the old fashioned way, by knocking on the door and actually talking to someone.

16. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Just started also, knocking like boss said is the best way to go about this in my opinion, keep in mind people work so don't waste gas driving around in the middle of the day because most likely the majority of people wont be home... but with this economy there are more and more people home during the week :( good luck make u some nice flyers offer discounts for referals and stuff and you should be fine! good luck