1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting out small.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawncare3, Jan 29, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 Junior Member

Does anyone here that is just starting out that can't afford too much overhead would you buy a 24-26" snowblower and just load it into the back of your truck?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your going to buy a blower,think of how your going to use it.If your doing big driveways,with deep snow,then a 2 stage blower would be neccesary.If it's smaller stuff,with less sonw,then you may want to consider a lighter single stage unit.

The single stage unit is easier to transport and load,and quicker in light to moderate snowfalls.Would also make a good sidewalk machine when you get a plow truck.You will probably need ramps for a two stage as they are very heavy.

A snowblower is an OK way to start,but it is a lot of work for little money.

3. DanG

DanG Senior Member

There are some driveways that i think would actually be easier to do with a blower then with a truck.
    On some of mine right now i wish i had a big one on a loader bobcat etc.. because you have 3' banks on either side that go back 10' deep.
    The driveways are getting tight to manuever in and i have no place to push snow anymore.

Dan

4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

That is a great way to start out. Try to get a dependable used snow blower, or new if you can afford it. I would get a two stage blower if possible. Try to get as many drives in one area as possible, because the closer they are, the less time you'll have to spend travelling between jobs. That will make your work more efficient and make you more money!:) payup

5. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

When I first started landscaping we had a 2 wheel Ford Ranger. We used to snow blowers. Sales of $7,000 grand the first winter paid for our first computer. With that money and a growing landscape company I bought two used trucks with plows for the next winter and we did plowed two trucks and still ran the snow blower route.

Starting out with something is better than doing nothing if that is your only alternative. Sell the snow blower service as a premium - better than plowing because.... a, b and c reasons. Charge a good penny and provide great service. Besides, you're going to work really hard snow blowing - you ought to make really good money doing it. You'll grow from there. Go for it!

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Make sure you charge enough too. You have to keep in mind that the snow blower need maintenance, as well as the truck hauling it around. You don't want to be charging $15/driveway. Shoot for at least $25 for a small driveway. If you do good work, and are reliable, you will be able to grow your business and eventually buy a plow or a couple of plows. When I was 18 I bought an old truck and plow, and always joked to my girlrfiend (now my wife) that one day I would have a small fleet of plows. She always laughed at me(hows that for support). Now I have two plow trucks, a bobcat, and I still have someone snowblowing small driveways. Remember, any time you have a question about any thing, go to plow site, because there is a huge amount of info here, and hundreds of helpful people with tons of experience. Good luck on your future business venture. :)

7. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

also keep in mind when pricing, at some point you will also have a truck and plow to maintain as well as insurance and whatever bussiness fee's they charge in your area so you don't want to undercut your own future bussiness

8. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

Hey i never started out using a snow blower but this year i bought my first one and put it to work it has almost paid it's self off and we havne't used it that much.

MIne was a 1332 Toro you can check it out on their website. it's an amazing machine. we can blow a 1/4 mile walkway in under 10 mins with about 6inchs of snow on it.

Just my two sense..

9. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

start out slow...you will be glad you did. after you earn some cash, invest in a used plow vehicle. you will have problems with the vehicle over the course of time, but that is the nature of the beast.

when i started snow removal we shoveled all drives. we were too cheap to invest in the snow blower!!!;)