1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting out in college

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jbeasley, Jan 12, 2014.

1. jbeasley

jbeasley Junior Member
    from 49855

I go to Northern Michigan and am wanting to start snow plowing up here next year. I was wondering if any of you guys on here started out in school? I go home down state over winter break in December so I will have to find someone to pay to plow my accounts in December, would that be a good idea? I have a truck that I can put a plow on and I know what insurance and licensing I need. I thought about trying to sub for someone but I didn't think someone would have me sub if I couldn't plow in Dec. I am still just thinking about it for next year so just let me know your thoughts. Thank you for any help.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A new snow business owner works during DEC.
    They don't go on vacation.

If
    If the weather is clear you could fly/drive home for x-mass.

jmo.

Never have any AM classes?
    Because what is going to be your priority school or snow?
    If it's school, then you may want to do something else.

Remember you can't control when or how much snow your going to get.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. jbeasley

jbeasley Junior Member
    from 49855

Ok thank you for the reply. Like I said im just thinking about and maybe its not a good idea to start out yet. I'm just not the type of guy to work in the lunch room so I was looking for something outside I could do.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's hard to have set hrs plowing snow.

A sub costs money and while your away on vacation he may go after your clients.

Or what if he doesn't show up?
    You get fired.
    He now goes and signs up your former clients.
    so have a non compete clause in your contract with the sub.

Not to say it can't be done,
    but your going to have to make some decisions.

portieres...

5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I've done it. Drove back the 3hrs from school every time it snowed for 3.5 years. Luckily the first 2 years were "light" winters. Luckily being a Hort. Major and being around landscaping for so long I could basically teach most of my classes. My professors liked me and understood (for the most part). In all honesty It was hell and I would not recommend mixing school and snow. Now would I do it again- probably. Ain't no $ like snow $!

6. wondo

wondo Senior Member

I started plowing while I was in college but my University was an hour away and I commuted. I would strongly advise you don't do it. I had multiple classes I had to drop because I had to be out working when I was supposed to be taking a mid term or final. Paperwork was more important than studying because my bills needed to be paid. Oh yeah, all that money you're going to make? It might cover insurance, break downs, maintenance, and expenses IF you already have the equipment paid for. It sucks but there will be customers that don't pay or you underbid when you're starting out.

I do landscaping as well and long story short I realized you can't make your business and full time schooling your main priority. Now I have a stressful business with an incomplete bachelors degree and student loan payments.

7. TomB...IN

TomB...IN Member
    from Indiana

It can be done. I started out in High school plowing residential drives. When I went to college (about an 1.25 hours away) no one in a college town wanted to pay for there drives to be plowed. My junior year I got hooked up with a contractor who was looking for extra subs. I worked a pretty good deal with him. I would recommend you try to find someone to work for as a sub, but be honest and upfront. Tell them you are a fulltime student and school comes first (for the most part anyway). The guy I plowed for knew that I could be there all night and might have to leave for a few hours mid day to attend class if there was a test or quiz, but I would be back ASAP, if not he had plenty of other subs who could pick up my work. I also let my professors know that I was in the snow removal business and this was how I was putting myself through college. Most of them were understanding and flexible (even picked up one driveway from it). As far as the break goes... When I went home I had to keep a close eye on the weather at school and if there was a chance of snow I was back in the truck headed to school. If it snowed then $$$, if not I would hit the local watering hole and go home back home. Despite a few false alarms it ended up being worth the drive. If you do find someone to sub for, learn as much about the business as you can so when you are done with college you can get your own contracts etc. Good Luck!