1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starting on my own

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jce4isu, Sep 27, 2005.

1. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i need help i have been plowing for 6 years as a employee. so when i bought my 05 chevy i got a 7"6 boss poly so now i got the truck and the plow all i need now is work where do i start i was thinking 65.00 a hour is that to low or to high

i live in des moines IA
    thanks joe

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't worry about whether it's too high or too low. If your happy with it, go for it and you can adjust up or down as you go. Put an ad in the local paper, put up an ad at the local convenience store, talk to friends, relatives and neighbors. Even if they don't hire you, they can give you leads or refer you to others who may ask. Consider putting signs on the truck; maybe magnetic ones for this year. Take those who call for one-time plows. Don't worry about it if it seems to start out slow, it'll pick up when those people who think they'll shovel give it up and look for somebody. See if you can find somebody to sub for.

I'd recommend you get Commercial Vehicle and General Liability insurance. Don't bother to tell me you can't afford it; You can't afford not to have it. Especially when you're learning - too many things can happen. Hint - if you don't have General Liability for plowing snow, your Commercial Vehicle insurance is likely not valid (I already checked with my insurance agent). If you don't have Commercial Vehicle insurance and accept any type of payment for plowing (whether it's a can of beer or $100) your vehicle insurance may be invalid. I've already checked all this with my own insurance.

3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Definetly get insurance, Then I would put an ad in the newspaper for plowing, i got about 15 driveways my first year, also always have a business card on you if someone wavies you down, they will remember who to call, and a magnet on the doors works good with a big phone #. Good Luck on your own.

4. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i got ins

i did get a 1 mill $$ policy

thank for the info

5. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

your hourly rate sounds good once you plow for a season you will have better understanding if it to high or to low. :waving:

6. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I'd get an extra truck. It'd suck not having a back up truck!