1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting off in Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dimattia, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dimattia

dimattia Junior Member

Hey guys,

This winter I'm seriously considering doing some snow plowing. I've read the forum and have learnt a lot of stuff, its great!
    I have 2 questions:
    1. I don't need a license for snow plowing or owning a skid steer right?
    2. If I'm going for commercial property's to plow, is salt a MUST have?
    3. What brand do you recommend for v-plow's?( I see alot of people use BOSS here)
    4. Are v-plow's easy to install and take off?

I've got a Ford F150 2007 since i do some lawn work in the summer. I'm also thinking of putting a snow pusher on it.

2. dimattia

dimattia Junior Member

Posted from Bossman on the wrong thread..

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

So you don't get ur self in over your head or loose you ass. Try your first year as a sub for someone else. To get an idea how this all works. Also don't expect to make a million your first year. Consider yourself lucky if u get to pay your plow and insurance off.

Yes salt is a BIG BIG YES!!!!!

Also a F-150 can only handle light weight plows. Not a V-PLOW. Personally I would put a western 7.5' midweight or a fisher 7.5' RD on it.

As for the best V-plow. WESTERN MVP plus or FISHER Extreme V (same plow different color) Trip edge V plows are the only plows that acutally trip in V or scoop. A full trip V plow won't. Also western has the easiest mounting system in the world for snow plows.

4. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

All good information in the above post, he's a good man as well. 1 exception, sno-way is the easiest mount up in the business.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like some one else said, sub for some one before you go all out and see if you can handle the hours it takes at times to do this work, especially if you want to go at it yourself. Commercial accounts don't want to hear "sorry I was up for 24hrs straight I'll be there soon". As far as owning a F150....nice truck but very limited to how much and types of plows you can hang on it, I wouldn't even rec. a smaller Boss V blade. Your truck will be junk or at least very well used in a year or two, especially a lot of commercial. Well I cant say that but its just not made for plowing. Its like trying to mow a football field with a 21" push mower. If you do get a more HD truck and you want a V blade, my suggestion would be a Fisher. We bought a Fisher 8.5 Extreme V SS last year and its a great plow and very easy to take on and off (literally takes me about 10 seconds).

6. dimattia

dimattia Junior Member

Yes I've seen the prices of plows are very high. I will stick with residential plowing this winter and not do commercial snow plowing. Residential snow removal does have a much lower profit margin but is less of a hassle, compared to commercial where you must have salt and probably even 2-3 trucks if you plan on really expanding. I'll just put a plow to my ford and do residential lots.

Couple of more questions:
    When should I start advertising?( I've been thinking to start in October)
    Is it worth the savings to get a used plow?

The main reason I want to get into snow plowing is because I own a lawn care service during the summer and don't want to sit around all winter. And by the way I don't expect to make millions at all lol.( Althought I didn't know commercial plowing paid that much!)

Thank you everyone so far:bluebounc

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Don't start me again on that scott. LOL Western has the easiet manual hook up mount. 2nd is fisher. Fastest hook up is a curtis/hiniker. Most pain in the ass, meyer/diamond. Boss 2nd. Blizzard are the easiest electric hookup