1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting Off In Snow Plowing and Have Some Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mafiaboy3, Jul 19, 2007.

1. mafiaboy3

mafiaboy3 Member

Hey guys,

This winter I'm seriously considering doing some snow plowing. I've read the forum and have learnt a lot of stuff, its great!
    I have 2 questions:
    1. I don't need a license for snow plowing or owning a skid steer right?
    2. If I'm going for commercial property's to plow, is salt a MUST have?
    3. What brand do you recommend for v-plow's?( I see alot of people use BOSS here)
    4. Are v-plow's easy to install and take off?

I've got a Ford F150 2007 since i do some lawn work in the summer. I'm also thinking of putting a snow pusher on it.

EDITED: Sorry my bro logged in wrong account. He was suposed to post this under dimattia username. He's 19 , turning 20 soon. Lol i wish I was 16 to at least drive...
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: :dizzy: LOL

stop filling this kids head with nonsence, he's 15 for christs sakes and shoveling driveways, lets see it for what it is, hes a child trying to make some money in the winter by shoveling,

as much as this kid wants it to sound like he owns a business with employees, and contracts, hes still just a kid shoveling snow, no one is going to sign a contract a kid hands them, {quote}

Mafiaboy3, You will need commercial liability insurance.
    How are you going to get this at 15
    and who is going to pay for all of this?

What happend to the shovel or are you shoveling us some firtlizer?

O.K. I'll stop now Goldpro.:waving: prsport latter....... lol
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

As far as a license goes, check your laws, every place is different.

If you are going to plow commerical properties you are going to need salt. Here for every plowable storm, we get 3 or 4 saltings.

As far as V plows, I feel boss are the best. They are easy to put on and take off and work great.

Since your truck is an F150 you may want to consider another type of plow, you will need at least a 3/4 ton to plow with a boss V plow

Hope this helps Bossman
  4. mafiaboy3

mafiaboy3 Member

Yes sorry everyone, my brother posted under my account name. He's done only residential lawn care in summer, he said he will probably start off with also residential houses for snow plowing to learn the basics and practice with the plow a little. If he likes it( the money and the job) he might do commercial snow removal. Sorry everyone, though still feel free to answer his questions it would help him this winter.
  5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Have your brother;) get his own membership and handle...........
    Then have HIM post his questions things will be less confusing.

Why would you start out shoveling IF your brother has a truck,bobcat etc etc?......

You could ride with him and shovel the sidewalks while he plows the drive.

No matter if you are plowing the quickey-mart or Miss crabtrees drive you will need commercial liability Ins.

mafiaboy3, do you have any relitives in Ann Arbor MI.?
    wait thats right I prsport ...lol paging the Goldpro:waving:
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  6. mafiaboy3

mafiaboy3 Member

Hah I wish I could work with my bro....He thinks ill just quit and leave him to hire someone else. By the way he has the truck but no plows or anything. And no i don't have any relatives.

anyways a moderator can delete the post if he wants, ill repost on the username dimattia

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

LOL whats up man HAHA im confused now.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, goldprow,

Now I'm confused too:confused:

I've been wrong before but........doesn't it sound like mafiaboy and dimattia are the same person?

Well, welcome to plow site dimattia..................