1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starting new business

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danthemowerman, Jul 25, 2001.

1. danthemowerman

danthemowerman Junior Member

I've been mowing lawn for 5 years now and would like to start snow removal. I would like to know how I would plow a driveway with a plow, especialy the issues with the curb and where to push the snow after I pull it out. Also what kind of snow thrower whould you recomend for doing small driveways?

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Hello,

Welcome to plowsite, this is a great source to learn about snowplowing. I have no plowing expereince so far, but I do have snowblowing experience. I recommend a two stages snowblower because it works better than single stage. Last winter I uses my John Deere two stages snowblower for several driveway and it works very well. John Deere snowblowers may cost more than other brands, but it is worth the money because they work very well. Tecumseh engine is never a problem. It always start in cold weather. For commercial work, a large framed John Deere DDE models is recommended.

3. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Danthemowerman,

First Iwould suggest you visit Chuck Smith's site http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com and purchase his book on snowplowing.

Chuck is a moderator here, and checks the post here quite often as his time permits. If you have any questions after visiting his sight, just make a post here, the members here will try to help.

P.S. Check out www.sima.org also!

Good luck!

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome!

I agree... go check out Chucks web-site. He's got a TON of information on there. I'm currently in the process of setting up a web-site as well that will include information that I've compiled from my experience, others experiences, and also what I've learned here. It is under construction at the moment, but if you'd like to take a look, the link is in my signiture at the bottom of this post.

Good luck!

-Tim

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You can purchase the Basic Snowplowing Techniques & the Sidewalk Clearing with Snowblowers videos at the SIMA.org web site even if you decide joining at this time is not for you. Both of these, along with Chuck's book will get your snow division off to a great start. As well as reading past & present threads here. Good luck.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

danthemowerman - study the layout carefully. Using a plow may not be feasible. A blower may be the only way. Or a shovel :eek: . At least I think they still make snow shovels.

7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Mick,

Yes, they do still make those snow-shovel things. It's what those "other" people use. LOL

Danthemowerman,

I noticed that you asked about where to put the snow. When I first started out plowing (for someone else), I was told to push the snow across the street into the neighbors lawn, etc. When I started my own business, I called the city first and found out that it was illegal to do this... just FYI, you may want to find out. I know there are some properties where there is very little room to put snow. If this is the case, I'll usually back-drag the snow out of the driveway, and then push it into the customers lawn, so that it remains on their property. Couple of things to consider about this though: make sure you put it in their lawn only, raise the blade a little so you don't scalp their lawn, and make sure you're not blocking visibility from their drive. If they back out into traffic and get hit because they couldn't see, you may be getting some unplesant phone calls.

-Tim