1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting making a back drag edge, need some help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Dec 14, 2010.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

So I signed up for a weekend welding class so I could learn the craft, and for a project, I started making a back drag edge for my 8 ft Fisher Speedcast plow. I welded on some brackets similar to the first pic here:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=111099

But, not sure exactly how far back it needs to be from the springs/trip edge so it doesn't effect their function? Also not sure how far below the regular cutting edge this should hang... Lastly, I know it needs to be slightly angled like the regular cutting edge ( / ) so it doesn't chatter, so I'll need to weld on some sort of stop. My class is over but they have "open shop" for the last time this coming Sunday, and I want to be able to finish this. My instructor was so stoked someone was using it for something HD, rather than just making decorations etc.

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

when I had mine the back drag was notched for the spring area and it folded under the springs and the plow cutting edge was of the ground when back dragging so it added down pressure from the weight of the plow I hope this makes sense in your pic the welded some small stops to hit the springs that is the area that would be notched out so that it would fold under the spring and hit the trip edge area

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Is there a special meathod to welding to the hardened steel cutting edge? My welder told me that the brackets could snap off easily and he wont guarantee it.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I used some scrap mild steel. I'm a newbie, so what better way to test my skills? I know some people have said the cutting edges are too brittle, but that seems odd seeing as how they got dropped on all the time going forwards.

Camaro 77 - I agree it needs to clear the springs, but if it is far enough back I don't think i'll need to notch it. And I do know it needs to lower to keep the normal edge off which is what i said, just not sure how much off the ground.

Thanks!

5. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

do not use a cutting edge for a back drag it will shatter use a reg piece of steel and the you weld a piece say 1 inch x 1/2 in the middle of the edge to add strenght to it so it will stay straight and not bow

6. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

as far as letting it swing it should swing and hit all the pivot points on your trip edge that is why you need to notch it as far as the height goes they are notched about an inch or so and the back blade is made out of say 6 inch tall stock so about 4-5 inches of the ground I will see if I have any pics of some I have made

7. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

in the link that you you posted up if you look at post 14 that is the way that i build them I also put a chain on mine to hold it up if guys are plowing roads or dont need it for some time it makes it nice so it does not drag on the ground they can be a pain when piling snow the snow gets caught and falls back down when backing away from the pile but you will get used to it and figure out what works best for your self

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I see. Does anyone have some good/close pictures of a set up like that where it is in the backdrag position? I didn't cut out any notches as of now.

I wonder how the one in post 1 works, because it seems limited and would not close enough to the pivot points etc b/c it would hit the springs/mounts.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

it will catch on the ground and the plow will lift on its own and lift up and the back blade will be almost straight up the style you are building will hit the spring and thats it in my opion it will not work well because as it wears the frt cutting edge will be hitting the ground

10. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I think any style would wear to a point it touches after the front edge but perhaps not. That seems to be the style i'm building. So i'll try to get it to a point where it will rest against the spring perches, which should be close to vertical. I'll take a look tonight. Kinda wish I didn't have springs so I could see how the trip action would work as well.

12. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

you do not want it to hit the spring it needs to hit all the pivot points on the trip edge