1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting Issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 85 Toyota 22R, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 85 Toyota 22R

85 Toyota 22R Member
    from IL

Ok here's the problem, 1984 ford f-150 351, It will start up great I can drive it, plow, and everything shut it off, and then if I go to restart it. It just cranks real slow, all the lights work, plow works, etc. (new battery well over 12 volts) cables are good, and starter doesn’t get hot. But come back an hour later it'll start right up again? Its probably the solenoid or starter but its 10pm and no one is open. Just wondering if anyone has had a problem similar to this? Thanks!
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My 89 does the same thing after it plows for a long time. The first thing I do when I sally forth to plow is start the truck with the extra ignition key. I leave it run till I park it in the driveway at the end of the plowing session.
    My starter is a new rebuild,alternator and battery also. All the connections are cleaned and dielectric greased x2 a year. and I have plenty of amps/volts available.
    I think it's just the heat from the exhaust that does it. I let it cool down and it starts right up. That's why I have the extra key and leave it run.