1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting issues on F150

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Trilogy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

I have a 1984 Ford F150. It has a L6 and 4 spd tranny. The truck sat for several years before I aqquired it. The truck came with a Fisher Speedcast. Anyways... The truck runs strong after warmed up, but takes several atempts to stay started, if not warmed long enough it runs very roughly. Any ideas of what to check for or a good place to bring it to in the Springfield, MA/Enfield, CT area? I do not have a lot of money.

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I would throw some plugs and wires on it, and see what that does.

3. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I agree, new spark plugs, wires, cap.

Wondering if spraying some carb cleaner might losen any caked on dirt ?

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Fuel pressure for starters, how about a new fuel filter and draining the fuel and putting in some fresh go juice.

5. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

I am leaning towards an issue with the choke. The truck has all new plugs and wires, new dirtributor, new ignition control module, new charging system, new cooling system, new tires and rims. I have also cleaned the carb several times. Talking to the prior owner, he had installed a manuel choke due to issues with it.

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

New distributor? Is it possible that you have the timing over advanced?

7. marvelous

marvelous Junior Member

Look at the plug wires and distributor in the dark. If you see arcing fire jumping around, change them.
    Does it have injectors? I use some heat in red bottle isopropyl, half a bottle per tank .I had an 88 that froze injectors and took two days to thaw. After red heat no more problems.

8. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

The trucks were not injected until '87. It has a carter single barrel carb.