1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting in the snowbiz

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by griffy77, Oct 12, 2005.

1. griffy77

griffy77 Junior Member

Hey all,

Winter is approaching here in WV, and my customers keep asking me if i do snow removal. I also think its better to offer snow removal for new commercial customers. I own a chevy 2400hd, is this big enough to plow snow? I have to admit other than shoveling snow off my own front walk i have no experience. Can I be able to start now and how do i learn what to do? How do you bid, would charge the same as for one lawn service plus the cost of salt? How danergous is it plowing a parking lot especially if there are any cars near by? Should i start off first by renting a snow blower? We dont get really get that much snow here, just depends some are heavier than others but not much more than 7-8 inches.
  2. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

See if you can sub yourself out to a bigger company or I'd start with a snowblower & go from there. The truck is more than fine to plow with, but are you ready to send the $$ on a plow, insurance for plowing, etc.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi, griffy77. Well, lets start by figuring out how much snow you get on average. Click on the link below, then click on the city listed closest to you. See if any snowfall is recorded and let me know. Yes, that 2500 will take about any 8' plow nicely. But I think you might be well off to use a snowblower. But I wouldn't advise renting - buy a good two-stage from the beginning and you'll be ahead. If you get a plow, learning is usually with someone else as a sub or "learn as you go" which can be tricky - especially commercial. With a plow especially, you'll want additional General Liability insurance listing "Snowplowing" which is very expensive -especially commercial. Pricing is always by regional custom - what works here won't necessarily work there.

4. griffy77

griffy77 Junior Member

The average snow fall is 32" in a year. I doubt that would be worth enough to get a plow. As for a snowblower what is recomended. Whats a 2 stage snowblower? What is fair price range to try to stay in when considering buying a new snowblower? Do I get enough snow to even consider snow removal as a serious extended service for my lawn&landscaping biz?

thanks for the advise guys.:redbounce