1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting Hard?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jdjoe_97, Dec 27, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Hey guys. Have another question for all you mechanics. I have a 98 Chevy 454. I often run premium gas in it due to the noticable power increase over 87 octane, also the additional 2 mpg with premum really ends up worth the money. Anyhow, I got premium with last tank were I normally buy gas and she is starting hard all of the sudden. Take a good 5 sec crank and then catches and smokes a little black on ignition. What do you guys think? Just a tank of bad gas? I thought about running a bottle of injector cleaner through it and see if that help. The truck has 72K on it and original plugs. I haven't changed them becuase I was told they have platinum in it from the factory and don't need changed until 100K. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Joe

2. E-man

E-man Junior Member
    from west.PA

I would change the plugs. My father in law has been a mechanic for 30 years and he told me thats a load of crap . I told him the same thing with my dodge and low and behold they were shot .

I would at least check them if they're not fireing right you ccould have that problem.

also has it been lacking power?

3. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

E man

I will have to check the plugs then. I have never been impressed with the 454's power. I used to have a cummins and sold it to cut my overhead. Compared to that this engine has maybe 60% of the power that cummins had. I had a mechanic drive it right when I got this truck last Dec. he said it runs great and he didn't see any power loss. I have come to realize that bowtie power in the gas form may be great for a gasser fan. But if you have ever driven a Cummins of PSD, then you would never think your bowtie gas had any power. To answer your question no, not any noticable power loss recently. I do notice a maybe 10% in just running premium rather than 87 though. Joe

4. thelandscaper27

thelandscaper27 Junior Member

Hi. I woild say to change the plugs. Put NGK plugs in there.
    Also, Check your wires, your ignition wires that is. Because they maybe rubbing inside causing the ignition 2 seconds longer due diagnosis called "jumping spark" .

5. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

oem plugs only sometimes aftermarket plugs and such will cause the ecm to pick up a missfire the ac delco platinums are great and do last 100k under IDEAL conditions My recomendation is to pull and inspect every 30k make sure the tip is still there sure they are pricey to replace but they are worth it
    If you work your truck here is my recomendations

change both axle fluids use synthetic
    change trans + transfer case fluids also use synthetic
    flush coolant(eliminate dex cool if not done so already)
    remove and inspect plugs
    inspect cap and rotor
    flush brake fluid

same as 30k
    but also replace plug wires
    and plugs and cap +rotor if not at 30 or just recheck