1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting A SnowPlowing Business

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bolensdriver, Oct 13, 2004.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I currently do driveways and sidewalks, but I'm thinking of starting to do snowplowing for roads.

What equipment do you recommend to be used? I'd be doing sanding as well... and plowing, and it'd be state roads most likely. Possibly developments and things like that.

I could find real good deals on loaders and graders and big dump trucks. I know a guy that'd sell me a real good running one in good condition (an Oshkosh) for 2000 bucks, it's real slow though, as it's from like the 40's or something, so I dont' think I'd do that.

Would a loader with a front and wing plow work? I know there's some towns that use graders to do snowplowing, and most towns use 6 wheel dump trucks... with front and wing's. What's your recommendations on equipment?

This is in New Hampshire, and they call you out to go plowing, even if it's just a dusting... in fact I have even seen them call out contractors and make them plow basically nothing, the roads were wet. But as long as the money is there... I don't mind.

I was thinking of something like this. Reed's Internationals give great deals on older trucks, which they go through and replace many things, but they sell it at a good deal.

Sincerely,
    Jake

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  2. bolensdriver

Reeds in Claremont, NH has some great truck deals. They even go through older International trucks to make them like new, and sell them much cheaper than a new International. What about something like this set up?

[​IMG]

3. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Thats a pretty big investment. Could you guarantee work for a truck like that? Would you have work in the summer for it?

The reason I ask is because my father started plowing back in the 70's with one account in Pittsfield MA. We did the local airport. Since he owns an excavating company, he had the trucks to start out with. During the 90's when we had those big winters, he amassed more than 7 single axle Macks just like the International pistured above. We had two loaders, two 1 ton dumps, and a Sicard Jr. airport blower. Up until 1999, we had a state route, two city routes and the airport. As well as a church and grouping of condos.

In 2000 the airport proposed an expansion and the FAA granted it. they required the airport to have their own snow removal equipment. We were completely phased out by 2002. The condo association bought a tractor and pickup for the grounds keeper in 1999. The city routes were lost to underbidding, then mid -winter wanted to resign us at the undercut rates. The state took so long to pay, that he was receiving checks for invoices almost a year late. With all of this going on at the same time, he closed his doors. The trucks are sitting, waiting to work. He's very stubborn, and wants to get them back on the road, by bidding an entire town. But I think he is waiting for me to come back to work for him.

Moral of the story - make sure you can weather slow payments, have plenty of work, and don't count on repeat business with the state or towns.

4. bolensdriver

I can guarantee work, contractors working for NH, LOVE wintertime... as they get paid in one sum, no matter how little the snow comes, the money comes. And there's a shortage in New Hampshire for snowplowing contractors.

I can guarantee work in the summertime, that's no issue.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004