1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a Snow Removal Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LilyBayXJ, Nov 5, 2013.

1. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Hi, All. A little background, I'm 21 years old and am pretty convinced I'd like to get into the snow removal industry. I've been clearing driveways since before I could drive, first with a shovel, then with an old John Deere 1032 snow blower, then with a '03 Silverado 1500 with a 8" Fisher straight blade (my grandfather's truck). However, I never cleared snow as a business, I just had lots of family driveways I took care of. I've been in college and haven't done it in a couple years.

Well, the time has come and I'd like to get back into clearing snow, only to make a profit this time. I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a 6'8" Fisher Homesteader, and I've still got my old JD 1032.

I guess I'm asking for any advice anyone has to offer. I'm not new to long unusual hours, in fact I love it. I'm also not looking to pick up any commercial lots this winter, not with my little Jeep. Strictly residential. However, I am eager to get into the business, and I'd like it to become my full-time job in the winter. Who knows, maybe pick up a 3/4 ton truck to plow commercially in a year or two.

I guess I have the basic noob questions. How do you guys pick up driveways? Advertising? What's a good price to charge? Say I plow multiple times during a big storm. Do I charge per/storm, or per/clearing. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

First off search is your friend.....There are many threads on how to start your own business so look around.

But to answer some of your questions. 1st picking up driveways. I have found the easy way is good old word of mouth advertising. Let you friend, family and neighbors find customers for you. It also does not hurt to put a sign up. But start off small (10 to 15 driveways) dont get too deep into it and find out you can do them all.

As for pricing it all depends on you location. I like to charge per plowing. 2" trigger and 6" max. So once it gets to 6" I plow if it snows more I come again (repeat until done snowing). I tend to be lenient on that tho if I know its only going to be a 8" storm I go once.

hope this helps, Im no means a expert

3. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Yeah, it does! Thanks for the tips.

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

First off I would do a search about wranglers on here, primarily plowmeister. There are some things you're going to want to do to the jeep. And second the 6'8 plow is kind of a pain on a jeep, you want atleast a 7' and 7.5 Would be best. can you get wings for a homesteader?

5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

As far as driveways, I do the same thing as fordtruck.

6. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

if you can do it try to find a group of driveways in a well to do neighbor hood.. they all like to go with the same guy.. if you can find your way in to one you will get them all... treat them fair and they will keep you around a long time.... not sure what driveways look like where your at but it only takes a few minutes to do a driveway. if you get a lot close together you can make more money then us on the big commercial jobs.. I have always talked about setting up a wrangler... its a nice small nimble vehicle for drives.. good luck.

7. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Yeah, the 6'8" plow is less than optimal, but it came with the Jeep and is paid for, so it'll do for now. I've done a little searching, I don't believe they make wings for the homesteader. They do make a 7'4" model...

Good idea about picking up the neighborhoods. I definitely feel like I could do that.

I'll do some research on properly setting up the Jeep. I've got a heavy duty back-rack that goes into a 2" receiver, and I've hauled a compactor (~250 lbs) on it before. I figured I could tote my snowblower around on it, that way I have a backup snow removal tool, plus it adds some weight to the rear end.

I'll try to get a picture of the setup later today.

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You'd have to find the measurements but maybe you could put a set of buyers wings on your plow. Idk if they're meant for a homesteader plow but they would add width.

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Please do! I love wranglers. I have an 06 4.0 6 speed right now as my DD, no plow on it though, its my baby. Not yet anyway... That unlimited will make a great plowing machine. A few years ago my parents had an 06 unlimited 6 speed and I loved that jeep. Mine is not the unlimited and I wish it was. I liked the way it rode and the extra space that it had.

10. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Nice! Here's a picture of the Jeep. I had a '97 with the 2.5L before this one, and the Unlimited is a night and day difference. It rides so much better, has way more power, and I take the back seat out and sleep in it during hunting season.

[​IMG]

11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

You need a two inch lift and some air shocks :nod: are those 31's? the air shocks will help with the sagging in the front with the plow on

12. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Yup, 31's! My '97 had a 2.5" lift with 32's and it was a tank. It could definitely use some air shocks to level out the front, but I've been holding out because I'd like to go to a 2.5" Old Man Emu lift with 33's. Do they make air shocks for lifted Jeeps? Or just stock height?