1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a new business in Boston area...... Plss help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ola_bosun, Oct 9, 2004.

1. ola_bosun

ola_bosun Junior Member
    from boston

Hi i'm starting up a new business in the boston area and snow plowing happens to be one of the 3 services i'll be offering, the other 2 being towing service and moving. I need some advice on as to what trucks are the best and just general advice on the business. i read threads here daily ( if not hourly), i know most people say subing under a larger company is best but i just havent come across such an opportunity yet so i'm deciding to register my business get some liability insurance and right now i'm trying to find some commercial vehicle insurance, which has been my most daunting task so far, no insurance i called around here offered commercial vehicle insurance for my plow truck. a friend of mine owns 3 seven eleven chain and he wants me to plow the parking lots, this would be the only job i'll be taking this year and maybe about a few(less than 5) residential driveways, by the way i have one older chevy k-10 with a 7.5in plow which is my backup truck, another k-10 with a 8ft plow which should be coming in next week , i'm planning on getting a tailgate spreader for my suv, a snow blower and one of those electric shovels, pls. any advice, comments or any help works for me as i'm new to all this, i'm learning all this at a fast pace, so again any help would work for me

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Any of the full service insurance companies offer business class vehicle insurance.

Why put a spreader on your SUV? Makes more sense to put it on the truck doing the plowing.

Plowing and Towing?? I know several tow drivers around my area, and their busiest times are during snow storms....

3. ola_bosun

ola_bosun Junior Member
    from boston

SUV has plow

i don't plan to do too much towing this winter sorry i forgot to mention i have a chevy suv k-5 with a plow, i was going to put the tailgate spreader on the suv becuase i believe tailgate spreaders are much cheaper than the hitch ones you attach to a truck, more ideas welcome please.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The Snow-Ex 575 comes standard with the 2" receiver mount and runs under 1000.00 new.