1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a Business

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by VOGLERny, Jan 17, 2013.

1. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Looking into expanding my operation next season. Right now i just do about 10 local residental driveways but i am looking into getting a DBA and possibley insurance. The idea is to try and get a few commercial accounts and increasing the number of residental driveways i plow.. Keep in mind that this is just me and one plow truck (not a BIG operation)

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You and your truck need insurance,even for those 10 little driveway.

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I'd just stick with residential. Oh and don't get more than 99 driveway because at 100 you HAVE to get insurance

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Take that advice !!!!

5. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Cool, off to a good start with 10 driveways. My advice to you is: Don't take on more work than you can handle especially if you get some commercial work! Try to get a backup operator with his own truck just in case you have break downs etc. Get a good snowblower and get a salter. Get insurance. And my biggest advice to you is since your just starting try to charge enough so you don't screw yourself later. And if you can try to get a couple seasonal contracts with your new contracts that will insure you steady income even if it doesn't snow. That's something i wish I would have tried when I first started out. Good luck to you.