1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a Bobcat based Business

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ARP, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ARP

ARP Junior Member

I am an 18 yr old high school senior and have been operating my own lawn and snow removal business since age 10. I will be heading off to business school in August with the goal of learning how to run the financial side of my own landscape/excavation/snow removal enterprise. I would like to start out my business operating skid steers and expand my business from there into heavier equipment and bigger contracts. I am getting my class 2A hydraulic hoister's license at the end of March 2005 through my uncle's construction company. I am trying to determine several things : 1.) whether it is feasible to start my own Bobcat based business during college or if I should wait until I graduate. 2.)What kind of capital I might need, and what models of equipment, preferably Bobcat or Cat, I should start with. 3.) What kind of tow vehicle, preferably Ford, should I use. 4.)What kind of contracts should I pursue when first starting out.

Can anyone help me out with my questions or give me suggestions on how to start my business?
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Well, since you're in the Ford Truck section I'll answer that part. I guess it depends what kind of money you have to put in to your equipment when you start out. I'd say at the minimum you'd need a F250 srw to pull a skidsteer around. If it had a dump bed or slide in dump bed then you'd be overloaded pulling the skid steer with the bed full of dirt, loam, mulch whatever. You'd be better off with a dually dump truck. That would give you the ability to haul stuff and your skidsteer all at once. If you can find a 94-97 powerstroke that would be a great option. 4x4 you could plow with. All depends what you have for money to put into your business when you start out. I'd say between truck, trailer, and skidsteer you'd be looking at a minimum $40,000 investment.
  3. ARP

ARP Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. We've had good luck with our Ford Explorers we've owned over the years- and the dealer has been great.
  4. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

bobcat business

I am currently a junior in college and i work about 30hrs a week depending on how hard the semester is. One thing ive learned is you can be broke fast in college b/c there are hidden costs everywhere. I think you could start your own bussiness if you still live at home close to the school you are attending and you have the capital to start after you pay for all the ******** fees and tuition. I work at a rental place servicing heavy equipment and i am biased toward bobcat b/c thats all i work on. I think they are good machines people who rent them abuse the crap out of them and they seem to hold up very well. Good Luck
  5. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

As a graduating senior in college, I will offer my advice. I generally work 40-50 hours a week during the growing season, and my grades are not what I call great. I work around my class schedule, but have been fortunate with knowing the right advisers to get me into classes that allow me to have a decent work schedule. If you have a schedule that is spread out throughout the day, there is no way you will ever be able to start a job, and finish it before having to head back to class. Also, as stated above, there are numerous hidden costs associated with going to college. Whether it be books, alcohol (if you so choose), you name it, it doesn't take long to have no money. I would wait until I was done with school before sticking such a large sum of money into a new company. Learn more about the ins and outs of what it takes to run a excavating company, and see if its something you can make profitable. You also need to look at what kind of market you are in, and see if it can support another company such as the one you are looking to start. I could say more, but if you have any questions, feel free to pm me, or reply here. Best of luck to you at school.
  6. ARP

ARP Junior Member

Thanks for the great advice