1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starter ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

on my 03 f350 sometimes when u try to start it it just clicks until u cycle the key acouple times plenty of battery power and good connections could it be the solenoid on the starter? and can u replace them thanks for the help

2. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Typical ford starter. Clean the positive terminal on the starter along with the wire to the starter solenoid.

3. Morrissey snow removal

sounds like the solenoids activates but still have to cycle the key can u replace just the solenoid?

4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Mine as well replace the whole thing and get one with a warranty

5. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

replace the starter now before you get stranded in a storm

6. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Yup, what the others have said. I'd be replacing it now, before it leaves you in a bad spot.

7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Might as well replace it. Easy job to do.

8. Morrissey snow removal

the only reason i asked if u could just do the solenoid on the starter was its a brand new starter it came in a truck i bought and have no paper work for it and the issue with mine is the solenoid so i just wanted to do that if possible

9. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

But you know once you mess around and take it off something else on it will break. I believe you can change it but there's wiring involved and then if you mess around with it then something does happen your gonna be eating that core charge money cause its already been messed with mine as well just go for the new one and be done cause if it gets stuck in the middle of a storm u really don't wanna be laying in wet snow to get you going again. Just saying

10. Morrissey snow removal

yea i got ya i guess i was just trying tom be cheap ill just get a new one

11. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Yep, change it out. A good OE starter will last 80 to 100k in the gassers, I have seen as much as 220k in the diesels. Aftermarket starters seem to go a bit farther but still dont last nearly long enough