1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jgramlich, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

So I'll be fixing my 91 ford bronco full size tomorrow afternoon and thought you guys might have some advice. It won't start, and it's not the battery or solenoid, leading me to believe it;s the starter. I turn the key and get a single click.

*In the days leading up to this issue, it was making sort of a higher pitched whirling noise when I'd first start it. I'm not sure if this is an indicator of another problem.*

As always, the help is much appreciated, as I am far from being a mechanic.
  2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

generally, just a click means the starter is not getting full power. Check for corroded power lines at the starter
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If the starter was growling during use it could be the bushings are shot. When bushings are worn the commutator shaft can c o c k sideways and the armature can short internally. If your battery seems to be draining as well from poor starting, all the more then, it seems to be leaning to an internal short due to worn bushings.

You should be able to rule out battery or solenoid by checking the voltage at the starter during cranking. Should closely match battery voltage. VOM between starter post and ground. If much lower than battery voltage suspect corroded or dirty contacts or bad cable between batt and starter.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011