1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starter woes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a 454 truck cheap because it wouldn't start reliably. Brand new starter on it. I replaced the junk flexplate, will start now but the wiring is all junk (nother thread going on that) and the battery wont hold a charge for long. My question is, this thing makes so much noise when its cranking, it grinds and squawks and sometimes it sounds like it might have skipped a tooth. Wondering how to get it shimmed properly, and if maybe the bad wiring/ weak battery is causing the starter drive not to perform properly. I put two shims in it but dont know how to determine if its too much or not enough. Or if the new starter is a cheapo parts store piece of crap.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Many new starters come with a "feeler gauge". Just a piece of wire to check the clearance between the starter pinion and ring gear. I think it's in the 3/32" neighborhood.

If it sounds like it's skipping teeth, the last thing you need is more shims. While I haven't made a career out of changing starters, I've done a few. Never used a shim.
  3. Detroitdan

I added the shims after it didnt sound right.
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I'd start with the wiring and battery, if the starter isn't geting all the voltage and amps it needs to work properly
    then the bendex well not fully engage with th fly wheel.
  5. Detroitdan

that was it. the wiring at the starter was all burnt up, certainly causing the starter to not fully engage. took the shims out and made a new harness and added new 2 gauge battery cables. Works like a charm now!