1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starter wiring problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bowleggedbowhunter, Dec 15, 2002.

1. bowleggedbowhunter

bowleggedbowhunter Junior Member

i just bought a 84 silverado with a new motor so new the guy wasnt finished hooking stuff up like the starter, well the silinoid has 4 wires hooked up to it. i really dont think this is correct can any one help me?

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

does the truck start?

3. bowleggedbowhunter

starter

no the starter isnt wired. was trying to find out the wiring for it.:D

4. bowleggedbowhunter

starter

the guy i bought the truck from wasnt finished hooking everything up and that was the most important part that i could see that would slow me down. he had 4 wires going to the "s" terminal on the starter, and from my not so vast experiance i didnt think that was right. i dont think a chevy starter has 4 wires to that terminal. sorry if i sound snootie

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

best bet would be to get a chiltons manual for the truck. do the wires still have the factory terminals on them?

6. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

On my '78 K10, the big red wire goes to big lug on the starter. and two wires on the small right lug. I believe they are red(maybe orange) and green.

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/chiltonautolibrary/root/index.html

Enter your year and model (1984 K10), click on "Chassis Electrical," then click on "wiring diagrams", then click on "fig. 10. " Hope this helps.

7. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Hey guilty1:

Thanks for that link! I've been searching for a vacuum hose diagram for a while, and sure enough, there it was!

DJS