1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starter truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by unhcp, Jan 20, 2010.

1. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I'm thinking about starting up a plow business and I will need a starter truck, I don't want this thread to be about what truck brand is better. What do i want to hear is from experience which way should I start thinking about going. I started looking at mid-90's ford f350s, which I think is a solid truck with the great heavy duty suspension. But I also worry about the age of these machines, so then I was looking into maybe something newer say like 02/03. I'm not sure if I really want to go diesel but I would be open to the idea if it has more positive's. I also want to know people's opinion on if i should buy the truck with the plow or put one on myself.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

What kind of plowing do you want to do. Commercial, residential, Walmart, Roadways?

3. unhcp

mostly residential, nothing too big I don't have 3 days to go back and keep clearing lots

4. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

small tractor with blower?

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

for resis a Jeep

6. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I would not buy a truck with the plow. I would most definetly try to buy a truck which has never plowed and put a new plow on it. F350's are sweet and mid 90s trucks are more cost effective IF they run good. The main thing is to get a good truck and good plow. (You don't want any down time)

7. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

Really any 4x4 pick up os good for plowing. But, for bigger lots I would recomend the 3/4 1 ton trucks since they are a litter bigger and usually longer. For driveways I would bet a jeep or a regular/shortbed
    f150 or silverado would be more manuverable.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Wait till May....There will be ALOT of cheap used trucks and plows by then

9. unhcp

yeah i was thinking of waiting till spring or summer and maybe even picking one up at a auction

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming you go to school at UNH? I went to Plymouth State and while there I bought a 94 F150 5.0 4x4 Auto for $2000. I found a used MM1 in Danbury (I think was the name, it was out by bridgewater but further into the woods lol) for $800. I plowed my college apartment driveway with it and offered some co-workers (I worked at a restaurant in Center Harbor) to do theres. One thing led to another and I ended up plowing about 7 driveways and made a couple hundred per storm. The truck took most of the beating from traveling from Plymouth to the Center Harbor/ "Boro"/ Alton area's. It plowed great! Those 92-96 (97) trucks can be found cheap, are even cheaper to fix, and are WORK TRUCKS. I'd recommend an F250/F350 if you can find one.

11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Newer trucks are usually more reliable. My two trucks have been great. I got rid of my old one, and it helped with cashflow, reliability, and image.

12. unhcp

yeah i would def get the f350 in those years

13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Like Hydro always says.... Dealer support is more important than the brand of plow as long as it is a name brand plow.

14. unhcp

i have been looking and the prices are about 5 grand cheaper for a 97ish f350 vs a 2000, but obv a 97 could be in far worst shape, i was thinking of checking out some auto auctions as well