1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starter truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by unhcp, Jan 20, 2010.

1. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I'm thinking about starting up a plow business and I will need a starter truck, I don't want this thread to be about what truck brand is better. What do i want to hear is from experience which way should I start thinking about going. I started looking at mid-90's ford f350s, which I think is a solid truck with the great heavy duty suspension. But I also worry about the age of these machines, so then I was looking into maybe something newer say like 02/03. I'm not sure if I really want to go diesel but I would be open to the idea if it has more positive's. I also want to know people's opinion on if i should buy the truck with the plow or put one on myself.
  2. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

1 question first...

Why would you want to start a plow business? does it fit in to what you currently do? Is it because you want to make allot of money in only a few hours work? or have you been plowing for somebody else for years and enjoy the night work?
  3. unhcp

It does fit in, I use to do some plowing for my dad back in the day when he did it and now I do it for the car dealer I work part time at. I like doing it and have experience and really never had that much stress over it unlike some others.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

The ford you mentioned in the mid 90's would be good, or go for a 99-03, they're even better, I would not however, go with an 04 up, assuming anything a few years above that would be out of your price range.
    I would go with a diesel if it were me, it's not a must though.
    4x4, absolutely.
  5. jdo150

jdo150 Member

I would say if your looking at the 90's fords I would get a 350 because it has a solid front axel under it. If it was me I would get a 99 up gas truck. If your only going to use the truck to plow you only need a gas motor. We have 2 gas trucks and a diesel and they all do the same amount of work, our diesel may use less fuel when plowing but with the price of diesel fuel now there really isn't a huge saving. Plus a gas truck will cost less then a diesel which will save you on overhead. I would look for a truck without a plow on it and then you can set it up to your needs. But if it has a plow and is a good deal I would buy one with a plow. To me a truck that has never plowed could be in worse shape then one that has, It all depends on the last owner. Thats why you should check everything on them. Good luck with the new buisness
  6. unhcp

I would def get a f350 if i were going to go pre superduty. I'm just worried about the age of those trucks at this point, they are cheaper though. I found a few super duty's around for about 7k, one was a v10 which I have heard of the problems with those. I like the diesel but the maintenance/problems with them seem more risky.
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why is this in the picture forum?

You havn't been stressed because it's never been your equipment, or your livelyhood at stake. You're in for a suprise.
  8. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

I just got back into it again... AMEN to this comment.
  9. unhcp

what the stress from? I know people can keep calling you to come or if you break down then the world might end
  10. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Im a Ford guy, so of course Ill agree with your decision.

I wouldnt worry too much about the fact that its a few years old.. Go for the OBS F350. Solid Front Axle is great. I have a '94 with the 460 (gas) and my buddy has a '97 with the 7.3(diesel) I would go with the gas if I were you.

Make sure you look at EVERYTHING. Even a quick look can tell you whether the truck is worth it or not.
  11. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

There is no real right answer to you question, I have seen 15 years old trucks of all models run better then our newest trucks, but I have also seen very young trucks with diesels that have over 200k miles on them that I would buy in a heart beat. my only advise is buy as much truck as you can comfortably afford and of course buy a 3/4 ton or bigger if plowing is the soul reason you are buying it...
  12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

why is this question posted in 3 different forums? maybe more - but i've seen it in 3 so far...
  13. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

get a diesel and here is a pic for those people above who just cant keep to themselves.....

Ford plow.jpg
  14. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Look down south or out west the shipping cost will be offset by the brake lines and other corrosion problems that arise from New England or Northern states trucks.

I'd also buy a truck that has never plowed unless you know the owner and the truck, JMHO
  15. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Good advice right there.
  16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I can figure out which forum to post in though.:rolleyes:
  17. unhcp

sorry about all the different post in the forums, just wanted to make sure I get alot of responses, the west coast thing is actually a damn good idea
  18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

We tons of rust free trucks down here.
  19. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

be careful with southern trucks mine came from florida and has been there its whole life no surface rust anywhere i brought it up last year and found real quick that trucks that are sold up north are actually undercoated to a degree it may not be much but its something as to southern trucks are pretty much just paint and thats it 1 storm and my frame started to get surface rust and i was the truck 2 days after the storm as opposed to my bosses truck which is 1 year new then mine and has been in mass and has plowed every year since he got and never washs it has no rust anywhere on the frame and he never undercoated it. look at my sig and u will see that there pretty much the same truck.

another thing u wouldent by any chance be a salesmen at the chevy dealership in salisbury mass would u?
  20. unhcp

ok good info, i found a few around the seacoast that seem decent.

nope that's not me i do work at a dealership but not a chevy one