1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starter truck for plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snydera5, Mar 7, 2016.

1. snydera5

snydera5 Junior Member

I work in electrical and plumbing and need to get a truck now. Have about 20k saved up for a truck. I want to start plowing because I do landscaping on the side and make decent money snow blowing. I am going to work for my friend and do apartment building complexes and do residential's by myself. What is a good starter truck and plow that I should get? Also what do I need to add to the truck to make sure it could support the plow.
  2. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

3/4 ton truck whatever brand you prefer. And whatever plow brand has the best dealer support in your area.
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Done and done. Perfect answer. Close er down.
  4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Not so fast .... You have insurance lined up?
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Better off with a truck that wasn't used for plowing previously...
  6. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

Was waiting for that!
  7. snydera5

snydera5 Junior Member

when i work with my friend ill be under his insurance for commercial auto. Do i have to have my own general liability when I work with my friend? How much is both if I get them myself?
  8. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

hahaha I almost mentioned it but I was hoping since he is already in business for himself that he would have his insurance figured out.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  9. snydera5

snydera5 Junior Member

have a ford ranger but it is to small
  10. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Gotcha. yeah you need both. prices vary state to state. find a good insurance broker to help you. Your "team" is your accountant, lawyer,banker, and insurance broker.
  11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If you are a plumber/electrician, you want a truck with a utility body. As far as insurance, your buddies policy is not going to cover you if you hit something, unless your truck is listed on his policy, and you have a insurance card from him. If you are going to plow snow, do it right, get the correct coverage. What state are you in, as long as it ain't Jersey, the rates are not that bad.
  12. snydera5

snydera5 Junior Member

haha im in Jersey are the rates that bad
  13. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

From what I hear about Jersey it may not be worth it. As far as your buddies insurance (this is what my insurance guy told me in the past, his may be different), your truck has to he under his policy (costs extra) and you have to be an employee of his company, not sub. I'd talk to an insurance agent and get a real quote.

As far as a truck and plow, with 20k total (assuming your don't want to get a load) I would spend 15 on both a truck and plow (probably 11k on a mechanically decent truck and 4k on a reliable plow. Save the other 5k for expenses and break downs. Until the money starts rolling in, if your tranny goes out or something else expensive goes wrong you have to have some money to get it fixed.
  14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Insurance is to protect your self. I have no idea why people insist on trying to get around this.
  15. shawn_

shawn_ Member

Is there a reason why if he's working for his friend under his friends company's name and has insurance on his truck why he would need plow insurance ? It don't make sense looking for a good answer back to further understand ....

16. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

If he is working as a subcontractor for his friend then he needs his own GL insurance and his own commercial truck insurance. If he doesn't have those things then he's an employee.
  17. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

If he's using his own equipment (truck and plow) he would be considered a subcontractor, therefore needing his own insurance to protect himself. If he were an employee of his friend using their trucks it would be a different story.

To get back on topic, OP, is there a truck brand you favor? If so, just get that in a 3/4 ton and find a good dealer around. Even if you buy used, make sure you have somewhere close to get parts.