1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starter/starter solenoid help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by streetkit, May 11, 2002.

1. streetkit

streetkit Junior Member

My 87 1 ton 4x4 with an EFI 350 was having trouble starting when hot. There wa a loud clicking sound while cranking hot. It would usually start but would click through the whole starting cycle. I figured the solenoid was bad so I replaced it. I also replaced the battery as I noticed that it was starting to crank slowly whin the last week or so. Well, the clicking is gone, but the truck still cranks slowly even with the brand new battery. What else could it be? Is the starter itself bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

It's posible that the starter is begining to draw too many amps. You can have it check at many auto parts stores (you have to remove it first :) ) Auto Zone tests them for free.

3. streetkit

streetkit Junior Member

So am I looking at a starter problem? One other thing I forgot to mention it sometimes has a "growling" sound while cranking slow.

So what I guess I am asking is, could it still be a bad solenoid? (even though it was replaced) or could it be bad battery cables? (even though they look OK)

4. Mac

Mac Member

I would be check all the grounds.
    Take them off and clean them well.
    Pay close attention to the engine block ground.

Last edited: May 15, 2002
  5. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

I just had a similar problem with my '79 K10. It was the positive battery cable! $4.99.....cheap fix! Wish I had bought the 60 inch cable, instead of the 52 inch......

6. 455sd

455sd Junior Member

hot starter

If the starter is doing this when hot but also slightly when cold i would be looking at the meshing of the starter teeth to the ring gear this can be caused by badly worn ring gear or loose starter bolts.Also if this is all okay install a relay between the starter trigger wire {small wire]This will allow a full 12 to 13 volts to get to the solinode as when a engine is hot it can get down to the 10.5 volt range .check starter armiture it could be stealing the power.if the starter armiture is bad or badly worn teeth are found i would be buying a high torqe tilton mini starter it will crank at 100mph