1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starter Spreader?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by beanz27, Dec 27, 2012.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I don't have the money to buy a big spreader, and currently don't even own a spreader. I've been looking around on Craigslist for a spreader. For a "Starter" spreader would something along the lines of this be ok?

http://http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/grd/3490287652.html

Eventually I'll buy a bigger spreader and a flatbed truck to put it on, but for the time being, would this work half way decent for a few months? Just residential use.

2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

The link does not work

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

4. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i would deffanitly go for it

5. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Back when I did resi work, I found the best spreader to use for most average driveways (1-3 cars wide x 30-200 ft long) was a good broadcast push spreader. For the larger drives a simple small electric tailgate spreader worked fine as long as I kept the spinner speed down. A "big" spreader is pretty much useless on residential driveways.

*EDIT* Just saw the new link that works, as long as that is the model with the variable speed control it'll work fine for resi's.

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thanks guys, I think I might get one similar to that link. Eventually if I start doing commercial work, I'll buy a V box for the one F450 we have.

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Small SnowEx

Check out a SnowEx model 575. Very easy to use and can be used both residential or small commercial. All electric and easy. They even offer a smaller unit that requires no wiring and is remote control. Simply plugs into your seven way plug on your truck or SUV.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Wiring doesn't concern me or ease of installation for that matter. I'm a mechanic by trade, and wiring is actually my specialty and I like it for some reason. I almost want one that goes into the receiver hitch and uses the 7 way plug, but at the same time I don't like light duty things like that, and I'd probably cut that plug off and run a quick connect power line on a switch instead, that way I don't have to keep getting out. But realistically I don't need much if I'm doing just residential.

9. wondo

wondo Senior Member

x2 on the snowex 575. I have a vibrator on mine and run bulk salt no problem. You won't be able to hold as much salt as a V-box but I have a few rubermaid storage bins I have the loader fill when I pick up salt and just shovel it into the spreader or use for sidewalks.