1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starter Problem...I think. need help please

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by AboveTheCut, Jan 26, 2006.

1. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut Junior Member

Hello all-

yesterday truck is running fine (2000 dodge 3500 dually, cummins). I stop at mcdonalds and truck will not start when i come out. the fuse (15a) for the starter solenoid is blown under the hood. i put another one in and it blows that one. not wanting to be stuck, i tack a 25amp fuse out of the horn and it starts and gets me home. i go to start truck this morning and the 25 amp blows. i will look for a obvious short between starter and battery tonight. do you the short is in the starter itself? is there a good way to test for this without spending the $200 on a new starter and it not being the problem.
    thanks for the help. This is one time i'm glad its not snowing.
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

IT very likely could be. The starters are known for having problems. The solinoid contacts are not really big enough so they burn up through normal use as does the soliniod plunger this causes poor contact and no start issues. The soliniod also sends power to the fuel shutoff soliniod's pull coil so it shorting can continuisly send power to the pull circuit and burn up the soliniod (expensive).

Pull the starter out and go to the local auto parts store- they can test it before you buy a new one. IF they starter is bad , odds are it's the solinoid and you can order a repair kit from foster truck and rebuild the soliniod yourself- MUCH cheaper and the rest of the starter is likely fine. You will replace the contacts and the plunger- 3 screws for the cover and it comes out. Easy repair.
  3. AboveTheCut

that is a great site. i will most likely order from them.
  4. AboveTheCut

problem resolved

i put a new starter on today and it did the trick.