1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

starter fuse????

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by vmj, Nov 30, 2011.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

i have a 2000 3500 ram deisel that keeps poping te 20 amp fuse when i go to start truck... HELP!!!!

2. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

What fuse and in what location, and is this after a long crank? Or is the starter not engaging when you turn the key?
    I've had to fix just about everything on my 2001 so I might have been through this :)

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

20 amp stater fuse in fuse box under hood. pops just as u tur key foward. truck stated today. parked it and when i whent to restart it it poped.. put in new fues and it started. the other night it poped 5 times before it started..

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Try running it with the steering column tilted all the way down. The ignition harness in these trucks tends to rub though and short out on the steering column a couple inches down from the ignition switch, thus blowing starter and ignition fuses. If it makes a difference you'll know where to look but it's a rather common location to check regardless.

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I will give that a try......

6. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

grab a breaker at the store next time, they are usually next to the fuses....you can reset instead of replace while diagnosing the issue....how old is the starter? If its on its way our it may be pulling too much juice, especially when warm?

7. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

I'm leaning towards this too...
    Cummins Starter contacts wear out and cause current but are easy to replace. Battery and battey to starter connections can do weird things too. I'll go look at my truck today and see if there could be anything else that's easy to point out.

8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thanks, i was wondering if the starter had anything to do with it. It was happening when engine is cold too. i think the starter is oringle......2000.....

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The starter can draw all the amp it wishes and it won't blow the starter fuse, because the crank circuit is relayed. Therefore only a faulty starter relay or short in the crank circuit between the ignition switch and relay will blow the fuse. Which is the circuit I touched on in the previous post.

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Relay is on starter??? I beleave... wright? Hey im just a carpenter....LOL So can u change just that or still have to change the whole starter? Thanks

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The relay is in the PDC under the hood.

12. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Ya thats right i was thinking selonid is on the starter!!! oops!

13. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I was at the truck today, (it's not my everyday truck) and was poking around, It does'nt have tilt wheel....

14. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

The contacts "in the starter" are probably worn out so now would be as good as any time to change them. It's like 25 dollars.

I did some checking and some posts on the diesel site say that a bad lift pump can do this too? Do you have a old or original lift pump or do you know what pressure your running?

15. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thanks But now u got me!!!! Havnt a clue!! lol

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Does the fuse pop in the run position or crank??? Perhaps the issue is not related to starting.

17. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

in crank..

18. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Somewhere in the electricial starting circut there is a going to ground condition. I would start with the basics and remove tall the wires going to the starter. With them removed and away from any metal hit the key with a fresh fuse. Still pops the move up the wiring.

A elecricial diagram would greatly help your issue. Basiclly, look at the circut and rule each element out.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's only is two circuits the make up the actual crank circuit that are hot in the crank position between the ignition and the starter solenoid so it isn't too tough to track down. The yellow from the ignition switch (that changes to a yellow/red on it's way to the starter relay) and then a brown from the relay down to the starter solenoid.

The circuit between the ignition and relay is simple to test for a short. Simply remove the relay and hold the key in the crank position. If it still blows the crank fuse then you know the short is in that circuit.