1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starter for 2003 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Chevy Regular cab, long box, 2003 chevy HD 6.0 gas engine 114K miles on. Pulls everyday gooseneck trailer. Now pulling bumper hitch trailer with utility tractor for snow. Never has missed a beat up to this point.

Is this a big deal? I have never done a starter - that is replace one. Also I assume its the starter - it almost goes, then goes again, then third or fourth time it takes off. I assume its the starter.

Then where to begin online. I seen starters from $84 to $600 dollars. Then all the parts number, the model number, OE numbers. Lke what the heck am I to look for?

I have no problem working on things, own shop, own tools but sometimes money is well spent for repairs but I assume I can do this. If I do where do I begin with choosing a starter.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had good luck with the new remmy starters made in china, but they have been good to me. Autozone and advance carrys them. The starter should take a half hour on real bad day. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...tarter-remy-new_20170219-p?searchTerm=starter

3. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

what do you mean by almost goes? is it turning over? usually when a starter goes they intermittently make no sound and do nothing at all when u turn the key which would be a bad silinoid (im a mechanic not a english teach). to tell if its the actual starter take a test light and check for power while some one turns the key if ur getting power at the control wire post but doesn't turn over its a starter.

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Check alternator Pros for prices.

5. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Also I assume its the starter - it almost goes, then goes again, then third or fourth time it takes off. I assume its the starter.
    like how??????

7. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Like how - just know its the starter. Been around that noise and ill fainted turning over engine to know its the starter. All service records from day one and never a starter so maybe this time around its a starter. I am no mechainc but we do what we can when we can. Plugs, oil, shocks, leaf springs, rotation of tires.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well, not there to hear the noise its making so i and ajman are just making sure that its the starter and not something else

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

There are two things that are very common...

1. People not knowing how to describe a problem with starting and incorrectly diagnosing. Usually this manifests as someone thinking it's the battery when it cranks just fine but has trouble firing or idling.

2. GMs losing fuel pressure while turned off (due to a faulty check valve in the fuel pump allowing bleed-back of pressure into tank or sometimes a faulty fuel pressure regulator), resulting in a condition where it cranks fine but doesn't fire or fires but sputters. A quick, easy diagnostic test for this is to prime the system before starting by turning the key to On (not Start) and listening for the fuel pump to run and stop after a couple seconds, turn to Off, repeat a few times until the sound drops its musical pitch to a lower note (or just a few times if you can't tell), then try to start.

jvm81, I don't know you from Adam so please don't be offended if I'm underestimating your ability. I've just seen too many of these threads that turn out that way. Can you post a video with good audio?

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

start by checking al battery cables and connections, went to change the starter on one of mine and found the lug at starter post was half rotted off.

compact tractor had the braided ground go bad (inside) and looked good (i spent teh money on a battery first)
    same compact cabel connecter rotted away on the back side but looked good on the side you can see

hence the questions above....description without being there is important to help diagnosis

11. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Yes is was the starter. Replaced it today in about an hour or so. All things went well but the old starter was a bit tough to get off due to rusty, old nuts and hard to reach with a 13mm socket. But all is good again in the chevy. Greased, oil changed and were good to go.