1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Starter\Flywheel Questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BRL, Oct 15, 2003.

1. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Preface: I'm not a mechanic here LOL. I have an 88 F-250. Had starter problems so we replaced it. It seemed to work OK then was not really working so well, then not working. So we pulled it out, threw some jumper cables on it & couldn't get the starter to start. Then we took it back to the store & they couldn't get it to run on their tester so they gave us another one. Only this one was slightly different. Threw that one in, worked fine for a while then now the motor spins, but it doesn't engage the flywheel. Now we can see that the flywheel isn't perfect, but it sure looks like there is still enough teeth for the starter teeth to engage. I remember in the past seeing some that were replaced, but those were practically smooth compared to mine. So I'm thinking the flywheel is not the problem. There is still about 1\4" of tooth + or - a little here & there. Is that still enough, or is time to be replaced? If it does need replacing, how difficult of a job is that (don't forget the preface LOL)? If that doesn't seem to be the problem, what other things should I check? We took the second starter off & can get that one to spin & engage with jumpers, so I'm guessing the starter is actually OK, but not sure after the experience with the first one. Thanks for any help.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You say the second starter just spins when on the truck.Does it sound like the bendix is engaging ? Maybe the bendix is bad.If it doesn't engage,and just spins,then the starter is bad.Make sure the mounting point is clean,as it must get a good ground there.

To replace the flywheel,the trans must come out.It's a fairly big job if you don't have the right stuff to do it.

I'd try another starter first,to verify thats not your problem.It sure sounds like it is.If it was the flywheel,it would make a grinding\schreeching noise as it slips on the ring gear.

3. BRL

Thanks Wyldman!

We ground off the rust at the mounting point & now the bendex does engage. But we still have to turn the engine a little by hand for the starter to trun overthe engine. So the bendex is engaging, but not spinning after it makes contact with the flywheel sometimes. When we thought the problem was the flywheel, we were turning the engine a little to get a better section of flywheel to grab. We seem to still have to do that, even though the electric connection seems to be fixed now. There's no grinding or screeching noise so I'm assuming that the flywheel is still OK. Any ideas as to why we have to do that?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sure sounds like a bad bendix.If it was the flywheel,and it's not making noise,you would see it chewed up completely,or teeth broken off.I think it's actually engaging,but the bendix isn't turning the engine.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

BRL, I agree with Chris, try another starter. These starters are rebuilts and it isnt uncommon to get a bad one right out of the box. It sounds like you may have gotten 2 bad ones in a row though, which is rare, but possible. What namebrand starter?? Do you have a good battery in that truck? Good luck and let us know how you make out. :drinkup: Mike

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

where are you getting your starters

if all the teeth on the flywheel arent the same size your going
    to ruin the new starter

cardoctor

7. BRL

Been getting them at Pep Boys, rebuilts. They say Ford on them LOL, so who knows what brand they really are. (we had that discussion a little while ago in another thread gone bad LOL)

I was thinking no surprise to get a bad one here & there, but 2 in a row? Only problem now is if I take it back & they throw it on the tester it will operate correctly, or is their tester sophisticated enough to know that even though the bendex is moving correctly, it's not moving strong enough? When we pulled the starter there was no damage to the teeth at that point, but we had only started maybe a dozen or so times at that point. Put a different battery in that has been sitting around as a back up, and it tests at about 12.5 volts output. We were jumping it from another truck with plenty of output also. But we needed to turn the engine a little before it would turn over with the starter. So if the bendex is not working properly, it could be an intermittent problem & not have anything to do with us turning the engine a little bit by hand then? I'm assuming the battery power is OK because it will start right up when it does start, but maybe that could also be hit or miss as well? Don't want to buy another battery with this one testing correctly, if I don't need to. But I don't want to take the starter back again if its not really the problem. What to do LOL...

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

When I say the bendix may be bad,it may be engaging,but not actually spinning the motor over.There is an overrunning clutch inside it,and it may be weak.That will not show up on any tester.

Turning the motor will sometimes loosen it up a bit,and now it works,or it could be coincidence.I'd still put another starter in it first,to verify that it's not the problem.

9. BRL

Thanks Wyldman, that's what I wanted to know before taking this one back. We'll see what happens with Number 3. Thanks everyone.

10. BRL

Well they couldn't even get the second one to test on their tester, even though we could get it to work out of the truck. :rolleyes: Anyway, third one is in & works fine so far. Thanks again everyone.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed,let's hope this one lasts a bit longer.