1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Started a new company this for the upcoming season, couple of questions

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by kruser6, Jul 31, 2009.

1. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

First of all what a nice site you have here. It seems like there is a lot of good information and discussion going on here.

I have been plowing for 6 years. Through the time I have been plowing for another company I have picked up about 8 accounts albeit small, but enough to make a good chunk of change whenever it snows. Anyways this year I have been approached by a few apartment complexes and two large commercial lots. I also have a good connection with a big restaurant and a shopping mall. I really have wanted to do this for about 3 years and now it's my time that I can make it work because my other job is self employed.

So in order to do the bids I need to get a salt spreader and sand spreader. I am also in need of a liquid product to put down before the ice.

I am doing my bid at $80 an hour per truck for the plow.

So here are my questions, please help if you can answer any of them.

- How do I go about putting a bid in for the salting. Do you guys like to put a bid in for a per application or a per ton? Obviously the size of the parking lot matters, I am looking at a normal grocery store size parking lot.

- If you go with a per application how do you figure how many tons of salt you would use per application.

-What are your guy's triggers? Anything underneath "?" inches salt, anything over that plow? Is that how you guys do it.

- How do you know if you need to be salting or sanding

- How much area do I need to store salt and can you just get truck loads delivered to the storage spot?

- How much do you guys charge an hour normally for shoveling/snow blowing commercial lots?

- What is the amount of insurance you like to carry?

- I can run the salt and sand out of the same box? I will have two trucks, would it make more sense to have one for salt and one for sand?

Thanks to anyone that can help me with any of the questions. I look forward to really learning this business inside and out and being able to contribute to the forum.

2. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

I just wanted to say I found a couple other sections of the forum I didn't see. I had all of these questions in my mind and had to get them out and typed out but I will also do my own reading.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go do some reading then come back and we'll help you out with the rest.

Welcome to the site.:waving::drinkup:

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My "short answer" is - for commercial, salt/sand every time you plow. For me, "rule of thumb" was charge for sanding was equal to plowing - just seemed to work out most times.

5. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

on average 17lbs+- of salt per 1000sq ft depending upon weather conditions and lot conditions

6. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

So if you are saying that it depends on weather conditions would you say it is better to do a charge on the amount of salt rather then a per application?

7. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

OK so I have a few things figured out;

Let me know if my prices seem competitive;

$80/hour per truck
    $30 or $35/ an hour per sidewalk cleaning -(what do you think is best?)

I am charging $350 per hour every application of salt on the grocery store lots. I am using that as a base to decide on new lots. IF they are half the size then $175 and so on.

$80/hour for the dump truck, $80/skid for hauling

Please help me out on letting me know if these sound competitive.

8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

How big is grocery store lots? How much salt would you have to use in worse case senario?