1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

start up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BrendonV, Nov 11, 2002.

1. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

i am going to be starting up my engine soon. it has bean sitting a few months out of the truck while i was working on it. what should be done before i start it since the oil probably has worked out of it pretty good. does it have to be primed with oil in any special places??

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

what kind of engine is it? what did you do to it while it was out?
    you can pull the plugs out of it, squirt a little oil into the cylinders, drain the old oil and put in fresh oil, pull the distributor out and prime the oil pump(turn the engine a couple of times while priming) put it all back together and fire it up.
    or you could pull the coil wire off and crank it for a bit ,then start it.

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Paul, not to disagree with you at all, cause i know your a good guy who helps out and you helped me the other day, but by what you wrote i hope he doesnt get the idea to pull the distributor, then spin the motor over. That will really screw up your timing marks. Just wanted to make sure he doesnt misinterpret what you wrote. :) Mike

4. paul soccodato

its no big deal to spin the motor over with no distributor(as long as you know how to reset it) i hope he gets back to me before he does anything.
    ill tell him how to go about it.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

True, its not a big deal, if you know what your doing. He may not know the first thing about a motor though, know what i mean? :) Mike

6. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

the engine is a 350. while it was out, i installed crane engergizer cam and lifters, intake manfiold, new oil pan, valve covers, carb, fuel pump, water pump, all that junk. i was just worried that when i start it up, there would be no oil in the cylinders, and all that work would be wasted. how do u prime a oil pump, i am 16, time to learn

thanks guys, brendonv

7. paul soccodato

ok here we go.

1) make sure you put break in lube on the cam & lifters!(you should have put it on when you put the cam in)
    2) take the distributor out and install a priming tool.( you can buy one, or make one out of an old distributor by removing the drive gear and cutting the top part off the shaft(where the weights go), make sure to leave enough shaft so you can put a drill on it!)put the distributor back together.
    3) with the priming tool on the oil pump, turn the the oil pump (clockwise) with a drill.

do it for about a minute and your done.

make sure when the motor fires up, you run it at 3000 rpm for 15 minutes or so to break the cam in.

do you know how to reset the distributor?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2002
  8. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

i know u have to put it at TDC. then face it towards piston #1??but how does the distrbutor go back in, i had trouble doing it last time, does it have to be menuvered a certain way??
    thanks brendonv

9. paul soccodato

mark the disributor housing where # 1 is, pull the #1, spark plug out, turn the engine over until you feel compression come out of the hole, then look at the harmonic balancer and line up the timing tab with 0. put the distibutor back in facing #1 on the cap and your done.