1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

start times in the am

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawncare18, Dec 5, 2005.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

Heres a good one as the season is coming faster each day... What time do you guys usually pull out of your shops/driveways in the am?

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

my first account (strip mall w/ grocery store opens at 6am... I'm up at 4 am, race over to the salt barn, load up then run over to job. usually get there at 430-500am. gives me an half hour or so to get started there before workers show up. Of course i have to stop for my fresh hot krispy kreme's and coffee in transit but you get the point.
    Fresh coffee--------->:drinkup:

3. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Usually when the storm starts winding down. No matter how early it is.:sleeping:

4. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Usually most guys get called in around 1:30 and everyone is rolling by 2. This Sunday we went out at 3:30 and were out by 4 cuz of low traffic and not too many business open. Season is here for us. We already got about 13" total in a week and a half. Our well-known snowbelt probably got over 3' total so far. I remember last year we didn't go out til December 14th. I was doin cleanups up until then. How much you guys got in Syacuse?

5. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I've seen some wicked times on here about when they get out of bed to go plowing. Now I love plowing snow, but 7:00 am is the earliest I'll get out of bed. I don't have many clients, so I can get most of them done before they go to work at 9:00 am. I then focus on any other jobs I have that can be done throughout the day.

6. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

About 1/3 of my stuff needs to be operational between 6am and 7am. So were gone and moving snow between 2-3am depending on the storm.

Ken - New Look Landscaping

7. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

lawnkid... we got about 12 inches where I live about 20 mins north of syracuse but about half an hr north more they prob have 2 to 3 feet with more expected tongiht and tomm. UP north of Oswego NY and Tug HIll area of NY get pounded on lake snow.

8. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I'm up all night and sleep during the day..

Proud to do this full time

9. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

quality.. how many places you doing this year. Im sure the number is huge since I heard you took over a company in batavia...

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

If it snows during the day, we start at 9 pm.

If it snows at night, then I start at 1 am, since I have accounts that open at 4 am.

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

whichever comes first. 3" or midnight.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We start at 2:30 a.m. with 2 inches of snow for plowing and at 1 3/4 inches of snow and below (just sidewalks) we start at 4:30 a.m..

13. drplow

drplow Senior Member

we need to start by 4am. we start plowing at 4". i do mostly residential. i know i cant handle commercial. we would be out there so much more and it would interfere with my regular season work.

14. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

as soon as it stops snowing... or 4" hit the ground... whichever occurs first :)

15. KMS Services

KMS Services Junior Member
    from iowa

I'm surprised that so many of you even have a 'start' time, other than strictly the weather. Last year was my first year plowing (it was 3miles of road in my development) and I had to work around my 8-5 job. Late to work and long lunch for sanding was what happened most of the time. This year I have nothing to do but wait for the snow and have 3 commercial and 13 driveways. My commercials are kicking my arse (one is a retirement complex...90yr olds in walkers all over) and the driveways come at the end. But I let the weather dictate when I start. The commercials begin at 2" and repeat every 2" more but the neighborhood roads I start sooner...go do my others, come back through, then do the driveways. Took me 24 hours by myself the first time last week. 14 the 2nd snow and about the same tonight.
    December 6th and 5 plows in already!!! 11/23, 11/30, 12/1, 12,3 12/5 The last 6 days have seen about 70 some hours or so? I'm too sleepy now but somewhere in there.
    Kurt

16. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Have contracts for just over 600 driveways and lots. But I sub ALOT of work out.

17. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

For me i go out whenever my triggers allow me to. In my contract it states that i may be out to plow at all hours depending on weather conditions. I just dont blaze my Ambers at residentials after 11pm unless i have to. Funny...I have ahd people come out a 3am to hand me my pay in there pajamas and nightrobes.

18. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

My 4" trigger really dictates when I will go out to plow. When the snow reaches 4" we start working. :nod:

19. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I start at 2am, and I usually call my sub around 3 to have him start hitting some other lots so I can be at school ontime.

20. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

For residentials: 2" or 2am, whatever comes first
    My 3 commercials are at 1" triggers

I dont know how you do it man...... school and plowing, highschool at that! Atleast when you're in college like me I can pick my class times and do online classes :drinkup: