1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Start and End dates on seasonals

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by wenzelosllc, Sep 25, 2014.

1. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

Tried a search but only got a bunch of junk. If you know of a similar thread point me to it.

Normally when signing up residential clients who pay up front for the whole season I tell them it covers Dec 1st to March 31st (last couple years I've added two weeks into April at no charge for those one or two storms that some people want/need cleared instead of letting it melt.) and after that I go to the monthly rate or per push depending on who it is. They also get a slightly rate based on what their monthly rate would have been.

My question is, seeing how the NWS has said to expect snow in November (or some in Oct) and going all the way until JUNE, should I continue to offer my usual coverage dates or give out estimates based on a longer winter?

I could go somewhere in between and say its $xxx for Dec 1st-April xx and if we get accumulating snow in November or May/June it will be $xx extra? From a financial standpoint I would love to have the extra couple of months paid up front and have it not snow but not sure how the clients would feel.

Thoughts?

2. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

All contracts I've done is Oct 15th-April 15th. Granted their per push contracts, but that seems to be the norm around here.

I'm surprised it isn't normal for you guys to get snow in November. That when our fun really gets going.

3. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

Some years we do, some years we don't. Usually the ground is warm and the snow falls that we do get don't accumulate. November is usually time to get leaves cleaned up and then a week or two to get equipment ready.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Nov 15 to April 15 is the dates used around Northern Illinois.....

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nov 1st to Apr 30th

6. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

We have our own contracts at nov. 1st to march 31st, and have subbed from dec. 1st to april 30th

7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

First snow to last snow.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For sure on the per push stuff.
    My 1 seasonal contract runs from July1 to June 30. Most run Nov. 1 to April 15. Last year we salted the night of the 15th, my first time in 26 years.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since you're writing seasonal contracts wouldn't you have researched annual snow accumulations, frequency of storms along with the 1st and last storm of the year to determine your rate?
    Not trying to stir anything up just asking a question.

For me mine run 10/1/XX - 6/1/XX and our average 1st measurable/plow able snow is in mid October and the last is mid May. We've had it as early as early September and into the middle of June.

10. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

My seasonal contracts are Nov. 1 to April 31st , anything earlier or later is per hour . :nod: