1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Star SVP Fast Rotating Mini Lightbars

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by tylerpiscioneri, Jan 4, 2014.

1. tylerpiscioneri

tylerpiscioneri Junior Member
    from 01080

Didn't know where else to put this. But my question is instead of having the cigarette lighter plug is there a way to plug this into a switch because i want to still use the lighter plug and dont mind having it up there year round. Such as cutting off the plug in part and putting the clip part on for the switch. thanks in ahead to your help.

2. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Do you mean keep the lighter plug on the cable and rig an inline switch between the lighter plug and light? Or have a (polarized) plug on the cable, with corresponding connectors on both the original lighter plug and a separate switch?

For the latter idea, I might go with something like these. Unless you're going to wire up a new lighter plug, cut the beacon's cable far enough back from the plug to allow a solid connection to the polarized plug. Then maybe rig a rocker or toggle switch with another connector wired to the switch's "ON" side. The connector could just hang as a little "pigtail" under the switch. A lighted switch would let you know when your beacon was on during the daytime.
    Make sure anything coming from the "supply" side (12 V) has the covered terminal (red wire). Even with all the plastic in the interiors of modern vehicles, if there's any chance for a "hot" terminal to hit metal and ground out, it will. {BZZZT!} :eek:

At first it seemed like a lotta work (and parts cost) for no particular reason, but now I kinda like the idea. :cool:

3. tylerpiscioneri

tylerpiscioneri Junior Member
    from 01080

thanks this is exactly what i was looking for.

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

We run Star (Strobe) Mini Bars on every vehicle in our fleet. We take all new lights apart and add a two prong quick connect to the light. Then we run wiring in under the 3rd brake light to a switch on the dash which is in turn run to the fuse box. This allows us to quickly swap out a light with any problems and / or remove them for various other reasons. I'd post a picture of the setup, but for some reason my infernal Windows 8.1 won't allow me to.

5. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Good; glad I could be of help. :cool:
    I might try that on my Star 9200SV. I bought it used on eBay about three years ago, shortly after I got my truck/plow, and rebuilt it into a good working unit. Upgraded it to the vacuum/magnetic mount, and it hasn't been off the roof since. The cable comes through the passenger door, and I don't think it's getting much wear, but I'd like to be able to route it differently.

If and when I get around to putting a BackRack on my truck, I've got a couple of Federal halogen rotators that I'd like to rig up on the rack. Those will probably go on the accessory switch that comes with a Chevy plow package. I've thought about connecting those with the polarized connectors (I think there's a name other than Sea Dog for those) so I could take them down if necessary.

Good luck with your project.

Edited to add: Too Stroked and I must have been typing at the same time. After I read his post, it dawned on me that I first read of the idea for those connectors a few years ago, back when I first joined PlowSite. I guess I stole the idea from him. ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014