1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Star SVP 90W Hide a way system????

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mkwl, Nov 14, 2011.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey guys-

I'm thinking of ordering this kit for my duramax pickup: http://www.strobesnmore.com/star-svp-90-watt-strobe-system-w-6-strobes-sale.html

I wanted to see if anyone had experience with this product, how it performs, etc? I'd be running it for 20 hours + constantly through snowstorms so it needs to be up to that task.

Also- I'll be installing it myself- any tips/tricks to the install? I'm thinking of 4 to the rear (brake/reverse lights) and 2 to the front (turn signals).

thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Bump..... anyone?

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

They are cheaper on Ebay. I bought an 8 head kit off ebay for I believe about $130 shipped. They were very bright, just as bright as my whelen 90w kit, but the flash patterns weren't the best or similar to the Whelen kit. As for the longetivity of them, I really can't comment, I ended up piecing together my Whelen kit for less than $200 and sold the Star Kit locally.

Go on Ebay.com not ebay motors and search Whelen. You can find the 90W power supplies for as low as $30, then you can buy the bulbs for $14 each, plus 20' cable lengths for I believe $16 each. I have a bunch of links I can send you if you want.

4. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

They are great kits and we install lots of them. Thing with Ebay kits is you most are Chinese made kits and connectors and bulbs are not easily found or compatible. We had a customer just yesterday who put real strobes on a chinese ebay kit by cutting the connectors off then they barely lite up.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks- can they be run for 20+ hours continuously with no ill-effects? Should I worry about melting light housings running them for that long?

6. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Any strobe tube if not mounted properly can and will mount the lens. The key to make sure there is sufficient space between the strobe tube and the lens. We recommend as close to a 1/2 inch as possible. The strobe can be closer to your factory bulbs as they are glass and usually not effected by the heat. Strobes get hot no matter the brand. Can they run for long hours absolutely. Be sure to coat the plugs with dielectric grease to keep out moisture and dirt and you will be fine.

7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Even running them for that long, you won't generate enough heat to worry about. Said another way, you should be fine.

BTW, the Star factory is about 35 minutes from my house and I know a number of people that work there. I'm sure they'd be thrilled if you supported them by buying one of their products. We use them on all of our stuff and have had great luck with them.

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info guys- sounds like a good kit so I think I'm going to order one of them on black friday (SALE!)!

One last thing- can they be mounted on a "curved" portion of the inner lens?

9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

I would be happy to address any questions you have about strobe kits and where and what to purchase for your truck via email...I probably have your lenses in pictures on where to drill also.

10. Dissociative

Not in Chicago salt....grease WILL fail.......you really should cut them off and use a waterproof method of attachment....it can be done for pennies a light..

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My kit was shipped from the US and had "Star SVP" written right on it. Not really putting the kit down as I didn't have a chance to run it at length, but it certainly wasn't as quality as the Whelen stuff I got.

12. Dissociative

100% agreed