1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

standard vs automatic

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mansf123, Aug 26, 2010.

1. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

I am looking to buy an older plow truck......i found an 88 f350 with a plow for a real good price. The problem is I have never drove a standard truck. I mostly plow big open lots and this truck would most likely be driven by an employee of mine. Is it worth buying a standard truck or is it going to be more of a headache for me.:realmad: thanks

2. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Id ask that employee how he feels about it

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ditto!!!!!!!

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Takes a little coordination to plow with a stick.

5. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

All personal preferance but I will take the standard any day over an auto. I can plow way faster especially in small lots. My favorite plow truck i ever drove was a 98 dodge 12valve with a manual and a boss plow with the hand held controler.

6. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

Is it common to blow the clutch while pushing snow? Ive heard some people say never buy a standard to plow with and ive also heard some say the love it... Thanks for the replies

7. theplowmeister

from MA

so does chewing gum and walking prsport

8. theplowmeister

from MA

I can burn out a clutch in 2 miles or an auto.
    Ive plowed for 24 years with a standard never "blown" one

9. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

standard is fun for the first six hours.......auto is more user friendly IMO. Standards have their advantages but I would rather an auto especially if your training someone.

10. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

automatic

'88 might probably be able to put a c6 in it if your buying it right. That way, your sending out your crew w/ a reliable truck and making $ instead of having down time. The C6 w/ a good rebuild is a great tranny.

11. RIVERVIEW7

RIVERVIEW7 Member

I have a 1991 ford f350 manual and i put a clutch in once and it does fine in the snow and i have a lot guys that drive the truck.

12. grandview

Try chewing gum and shifting while plowing,

13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

As mentioned above, plowing with an automatic is much more user friendly, but it's a personal preference. I have plowed for many years with both, but the older I get the more I like automatics. I'm just to old to have to remember to push the clutch in, shift gears, raise the plow, lower the plow and or angle the plow all at the same time, lol.

14. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

I looked at the truck and everthing was in good condition. the onlything was The clutch was pretty stiff when i pushed on it.......is that normal?

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Find a automatic. I would bet 95% of plowers would prefer this over a manual shift. Include me in the 95%, it's a no brainer really.

16. grandview

Did that for 16 years with a 77 Chevy

What kind of truck?

17. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

its a 1988 f350 utilitly body. Its a 5 speed.

18. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

After going back in fourth on buying or not buying the truck, i think i might look for something thats automatic and 4wd. If it was 4wd drive i would probally take it but even though i plow mostly in 2wd in my f350 i have got stuck a few times and could not imagine not having 4 wheel drive. Not to mention i would need someone who was very experienced in plowing to drive the truck.
    Thanks for the responces

19. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

standard automatic

You oughta try my c60, The clutch spring makes the plow trip spring look small. (haha)

20. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I'm already dreading plowing with the 6 speed in my dump. Grrrr,,,,*the deal was too good to pass up8 *The deal was too good to pass up* *Gooooos-fraba*