1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Standard Trans question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LaffertySalvage, Feb 21, 2014.

1. LaffertySalvage

LaffertySalvage Junior Member

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually , 8 foot bed with the Crew Cab and it is a 4X6and it has the 6.7 Cummins
    But I have a standard trans could I use this to plow even though it does not have a Automatic Trans.
    Would you use it for snow plowing or Trade it in and get an Automatic Trans?

Thanks

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You can plow with either transmission. Is this a serious question? Many guys here like their manual transmissions, but I'll take an automatic any day.

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

The question is, would you?

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I've got a six speed in my Dodge . Plows great. 1. Clutch, 2 throw out bearings in 350,000 miles. my Achilles tendon gets a little sore after about 10 hrs of driveways.

5. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

My next truck will be a stick. A new clutch is a lot cheaper than a new transmission. Drawback to some would be they tend to be slower in reverse. No big deal for me, I do everything slow.

6. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Yes you can.

7. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

The real question is can your left leg??

8. LaffertySalvage

Thank you for your all of your response's
    I am going to keep my Truck and put a plow on

Now what do you think of Western?
    I have a Meyers on my Jeep Wrangler and it is a drive pro 6.8
    The dealer I want to got to now is pushing Boss or Western he says Meyers is not that good.
    What do you think of Meyers new Lot Pro
    Even though my my Dodge is a Dually I want a straight plow not the V

Thanks for your info

9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Plow type all depends on what your plowing.

Brand is your choice, everyone will give you the good and bad. You can't go wrong with either Boss or Western so go look at them and decide which features you like best.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with Boss, Western, or MeyerS!

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you saying your pickup is 2wd?

You can still push snow with a 2wd, but it isn't idea. Factor that in along with it being a manual trans and you're really looking at an odd ball type truck for plowing now a days.

12. javaboy

javaboy Junior Member
    from Alaska

Last years ago I plowed with a eaton fuller 15 speed old highway plow. I would of passed on that if I had to opportunity to do so. Automatics make things much easier.

If it is just a small amount of snowplowing (personal & close friends) I think a manual would be just fine. I personally would rather not have the dual wheel and the diesel but thats just my opinion. I feel like I get better traction at highway speed with singles and diesels can be a PITA in the winter.

On another note... Can we really call them "Standard Transmissions" anymore? Seems to me Automatics are now the standard.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  13. LaffertySalvage

It is 4 wheel drive Truck and I said 4 x 6 because it has 4 wheel drive but it also has 6 wheels 2 in the front and 4 in the back.
    I like diesels because they have more pulling power and other features like an exhaust break.
    And the main reason I asked the question about the transmission is I wanted to ask some other people what they thought
    And I really appreciate the come backs I really do.
    I will have this truck paid off in two years and I don't want to go in debt for a new one right now as I am 67.
    The truck only has 35,000 on it so if I take care of it might just out last me.
    Thanks for all your help

14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Plow brand is your choice. These days, they're all good. You'll need a 9' blade to get past the duals.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Last truck was 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins 6 speed and an 8' Fisher. I hated plowing every minute in that truck because of the stick. The question is, do you want to plow with a stick because it will plow fine.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Excellent point, sir.

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Find a Fisher hydro plow and put it on,best combo you can have for a stick.

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Left leg might get a little sore.
    On occasion, ill plow in a company trk that's an auto. Yea I'm glad to get back to my manual.

19. ABDIRT

ABDIRT Junior Member

I have always plowed with a manual trans and the last storm my buddy and I tried each others truck out, he has the auto trans. After 20 min we were both happy to be in our own rigs. I guess when you get used to something you stick with it. I run a 8' with wings and it pushes the snow past the duals just fine. I'm not sure a 9' w/o wings will clear the duals when fully angled.

20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If person has the truck setup for plowing You will want high gears So the Reverse will be high
    My F350 dually is a 5 speed with 373 gears I can run 15 mph in reverse can hit 20mph but then I'm doing 3k rpms + mine is gas
    I run a 9.6 V and if I wind row my out side wheel will drive on the windrow but with wings on then its ok

I love my stick I loose less traction with one When I drive my other 2 trucks that has auto they seem to spin more.
    One thing with my stick nobody wants run it