1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

standard tranny slipping?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMC4x4, Jan 2, 2002.

1. GMC4x4

GMC4x4 Junior Member

hi guys, for the last few weeks my truck has been doing something strange. every once in a while when i shift from 1st into 2nd then hit the gas, the engine revs up just a little bit, as though i still have the clutch down part way, then it accelerates like normal. i havent noticed it shifting into 3rd or when taking off in 1st. i'm not racing it around either, just normal driving. the truck drives fine other than that. it's got a 350 with a 4spd and 208 transfer case, though i'm pretty much always in 2wd. anyideas what could be causing this? I'm no tranny guy, but i wouldn't think a standard could be slipping like an auto, or could it?

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

The clutch is starting to slip.
    I don't know the year and if you have mechanicle linkage or hydraulic.
    If it a mechanicle linkage, is there any free play?
    If you have a hydraulic set up there is no clutch adjustment and it is time for a new clutch.
    If you have mechanical linkage and you have about an inch or so of freeplay and it is still slipping, it is time for a new clutch.
    I like Borg Warner Brute Force clutches from NAPA, about $130.

3. GMC4x4

GMC4x4 Junior Member

it is an 84' though i think the body was swapped onto an older frame/drivetrain. the tranny is the 4spd with granny first gear. i assume by linkage (like i said, i'm no tranny guy) you mean the connection between the clutch pedal and the tranny itself, right? there is a big spring from the tranny to the frame near the engine that pulls the clutch back after i've depressed the pedal. does that mean its mechanical? how can i check the free play? can the clutch be replaced without taking the whole tranny apart? i guess if it needs replacing, i might as well get the tranny checked out/rebuilt anyway.

Greg

4. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

OK now we have something to work with.
    Mechanical linckage went till 84, after that it went to a hydraulic system.
    To check the free play in the clutch pedal, see how much travel there is in the pedal. Slowly depress the pedal untill resistence is felt. That is there should be about 3/4 - 1 1/2 inches of movement when it is real easy to push then the throwout bearing comes into contact with the fingers on the clutch and resistence is felt.
    If it feels like it is hard to push in the clutch from the very begining then it needs to be adjusted.
    Yer best bet is to go get a manual. I happen to like the Haynes manuals. NAPA will have them for around $15
    And yes the tranny has to be removed to replace the clutch.
    From the sounds of this I would strongly suggest in getting someone that has worked on rigs to help ya out if the clutch has to be replaced.
    Plus go and rent a tranny jack from a rental place, You have an SM465 tranny and they are real tipsy on a plain ol floor jack.
    I have seen guys get themselvs realy hurt when the tranny falls off the jack.
    I would see about the clutch adjustment and if that doesn't take care of it then it is time for a clutch.
    If you feel that this is something that you want to tackle after reading the manual then I am sure that there will be someone here that will answer any questions that you might have.
    As far as having the tranny rebuilt ... unless it is making alot of racket or popping out of gear it is a waste of money.
    The 465 is the most reliable tranny out and will take alot of abuse.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2002
  5. GMC4x4

GMC4x4 Junior Member

thanks for the help Powermad, i think i have a haynes manual kicking around the basement somewhere, i'll have to go find it. thinking about it, i'm not sure the pedal has any free play like that but i'll go out on my break and find out for sure. i am also just remembering that when i bought the truck about 2 years ago i was told that the tranny had just been rebuilt and only had a few hundred miles on it. so i'm thinking it probably is just in need of adjustment.

Greg

6. GMC4x4

GMC4x4 Junior Member

Well, i just checked and i dont feel any free play in the pedal. from the very first little push i feel resistance. i guess it's time to study the haynes and think about adjusting something. if anyone has any advice about it, feel free to offer.

Thanks
    Greg