1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

standard tramision chevy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Chevy4X4, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Chevy4X4

Chevy4X4 Junior Member

i have a 1996 Chevy k1500 with a manual trans and have a hard time stacking snow because i i let in the clutch so i do not ride it but i loose all my momentum. any suggestions on how to keep my momentum so i can stack snow better. this is my first year plowing with this truck.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Use 4 low and just keep pushing.
    Too much momentum can be a BAD thing.

3. Chevy4X4

Chevy4X4 Junior Member

i was thinking that. i was hesitant to try it only because i was told that it really wasnt good to plow in 4 low. not sure why that was. thanks for the response though.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

you shouldn't much much of a problem.... me when i get to the end of a push im usually doing 15 km/h well my truck an auto, but i just let my foot off the gas NEVER touch the breaks and as soon as i hit that snowbank my trucks in reverse... works flawless, soo smooth... I never give my truck any gas going into a snowbank and i stack 10-12 feet.... The only time i use the breaks as slowing from reverse to put it back into 1st... but hay, its all technique... and also, dont plow in 4 Low... unless you like wasting a huge amout of fuel and get paid by the hour

5. Chevy4X4

Chevy4X4 Junior Member

thanks for the reply Triple L. i think i have been hitting the brakes a little when i come up to a pile. ill try what you said next time i am out. When ever that is going to be..lol

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

no problem, dont be afraid of going into a pile a little bit hot, unless its all ice, just pay attention to what the weather has been doing and you should be all good

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Being this is your first year. Practice and experience will give you the best results.
    There are plenty of people that use 4low to plow.
    Read through some of the other posts in the forums.

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

You can use 4 low, but it will probably be counter productive in most cases. make sure you have some slip available on the pavement, things will bind up pretty good if you have solid traction.

Also, I would leave the clutch out, ie... leave it in gear, in 1st, and give it a little gas, you'll probably wind up spinning the tires before you stall, then hit the clutch.

9. rollin snow

rollin snow Junior Member

:confused:low range w/man trans rev.is way 2 slow just keep trying u will get

10. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Leave it in gear and watch your revs. If the revs start dipping hit the clutch, or clutch when your truck stops and the wheels spin.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW, I learned to plow in a Standard Chevy 3500- Never needed 4-low, and never touched the brakes going to a pile. Start stepping on the clutch when you get to the pile and let the pile slow you down. You're trucks a little light for this method but with a heavy truck you'll stack fine that way. And yes- clutch is either on the floor or all the way out- no riding.

12. Chevy4X4

Chevy4X4 Junior Member

thanks for all the responces. like most of you said i most likley need more practice and need to figure out what works best. thanks again